A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Dr. Andie

I went to visit Andra this morning, Ms J. I took the TTC. Toronto Transit Commission. That's our public transit service here in Ontario's capital city. Buses, streetcars, subway trains. It's dreadful. Oh sure, I suppose the service is stellar compared to some other cities. And our vehicles are clean and well maintained. $2.75 will take you anywhere in the city. And believe me, Ms Journal, it's a big city. Yes, on second thought, I reckon it's a good deal. It's just that, compared to our GO trains, it's slow and dirty. And the passengers ... Well, let's just say that buses carry sweaty blue collar workers with whiskery faces and body odour. And the men are even worse.

GO trains are smooth and quiet and ... I don't know ... more dignified I guess. Passengers wear dresses and suits and ties and they all smell nice. Very seldom do they carry portable music players with the volume so loud everyone can hear it. Students don't often ride the GO train. GO train people are downtown office workers. Civilized. Polite.

Anyway, I braved the malodorous mobs and went downtown to Andra's school. The Regency School of Dental Hygiene. It's very nice. Large, bright, welcoming. Lots of smiling faces. Andra was a bit nervous but determined to give my teeth a good going over. And she did.

She poked and probed and prodded until she had most of my gums bleeding. It hurt like hell, but in her defence, my gums are devilishly sensitive.

"Sorry, Dale," she said. "I'm being as careful as I can, but I really have to do this. Thanks for being a good sport."

It took three hours, Ms J, and about a pint of O negative.

Andra's been a good friend to me. She'll be a brilliant hygienist one day, but right now she needs my help. My next appointment is May 2nd.

***

1 Comments:

Blogger mmichele said...

wow. that is true friendship. letting someone poke around your gums like that. you're a better friend than i.

20 April 2007 at 14:07  

Post a Comment

<< Home