A Taxing Afternoon
I spent the entire afternoon today filling out an income tax return. No, that's not true, Ms J. I spent the entire afternoon TRYING to fill out an income tax return.
After nearly five hours of adding and subtracting and multiplying and dividing, searching for bits of paper and various forms, and plotting it all into a downloaded version of QuickTax, I've come to a number of firm conclusions.
I don't know what I'm doing. I'm missing half the paperwork I need. And I will never again attempt my tax return on my own. It's too bloody complicated.
"RRSP contributions to repay money borrowed under Canada Home Buyer Programme"
I have nothing from the bank to show how much I've paid. I don't even know how much I borrowed, or when, exactly. Do I even have to claim this? Revenue Canada does their best to ensure the Income Tax Act is so incredibly complex, only a small number of tax payers actually understand it. That's the means by which they can rob us blind.
Why is it such a hassle every year? Why don't I EVER seem to have the information I need? Income tax is such a royal pain in the arse, Ms J. And last year was the first year EVER that I had no refund. In fact, I owed the bastards $800.
This year, I sold my CN stock to buy my car. Capital gains. I'll be taxed on that. Where oh where is the bloody paper showing the value of the stocks I sold and the profit I made? Hmm? Where, dammit??!! Did I never receive it? Or have I lost it?
Lord, how I abhor this process. Every year, I try it on my own. And every year I get frustrated. To hell with QuickTax. I'll take a loss on the $39 I paid for that software. I'm taking my stack of papers to a tax accountant. There's one right here in Mimico.
I've had enough of this rubbish for today.
AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you. And have a nice day.
***

1 Comments:
I missed a piece of paper last year that RevCan didn't. Of course, they came back for their $40 or whatever it was late in the year.
Post a Comment
<< Home