A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Let the Weekend Begin

I’m one week closer to retirement.

Well, this week slipped by pretty fast. It seemed all I did all week was scramble to try to catch up on my sleep. I’m losing the race, I think.

A bunch of the lads from work went to a pub Thursday night. I went too. I was the first to arrive and I stood around for twenty minutes. When there was still no one else there, I left and came home. That’s OK, really. I was told Nick would be there as well. Nick, Ms J. The guy who got us all fired last month. The guy who is too tough to ask for the help he so desperately needs. I still haven’t spoken to him. Tough guy. Idiot. I really must get over that, you know. I'll have to work harder at forgiveness. And I will. Forgive him, I mean. One day.

I’m looking forward to spendng time with my daughter this weekend. I am so proud of her!

I’ve decided to buy a new car. Well, not a new one, I shouldn’t think. A used one. Not too old, though. Dad says four years old is about right. He says they’ve lost some of their value by then, but they haven’t amassed too many miles yet. Sounds logical to me.

I’m going to buy a small car. A “puddle-jumper” Dad would call it. I don’t know which brand yet. Honda, maybe, although they’re pricey. Toyota makes a pretty good car. So does Ford and Chevrolet and ... well they’re all pretty reliable nowadays, aren’t they? I don't really fancy small cars, Ms J, but that's all they have in Europe and the UK. If they can drive 'em, so can I.

I’ve been out, looking at cars this week. The salesmen are hungry, Ms J. But I’m hoping they’ll be hungrier after Christmas.

Scout and I are off to Flesherton today to enjoy some time with our kin.

Kin. That’s a word you don’t hear much anymore. I wonder if it’s derived from the word “kind.” And kindness. We show kindness to our kin, Ms J, don’t we? Usually, anyway. In German the word “kind” means “child.”

Maybe it’s all tied together somehow.

Merry Christmas.

***

3 Comments:

Blogger PBS said...

I think one of the best small cars is the Ford Focus. It has tight "European" handling, good gas mileage and it's cheap. I loved my 2000 SE that my son drives now. There's a lot of year-end sales going on, too.

Merry Christmas to you!

23 December 2006 at 19:16  
Blogger Jennytc said...

It's not ALL we have over her in the UK, Dale. We just have small roads so the cars look bigger! ;)

24 December 2006 at 08:36  
Blogger Rhea said...

Retirement?! Really? You lucky devil.
Rhea
The Boomer Chronicles

25 December 2006 at 22:37  

Post a Comment

<< Home