I Sound Like My Mother!!
We were on our way home from Flesherton last night when Meagan interrupted herself in mid sentence.
"This is a really cool song, Dad. Listen to the lyrics. It's about doin' it, eh? You know. It's about having sex."
And she turned up the volume on the car stereo.
She had loaded the CD changer with her own music for the two-hour drive. She likes to introduce me to her favourite artists and to be honest, some of it is quite good.
Some of it.
Some of it is ... well, not.
The group we listened to call themselves "Sublime." Meagan says they're a "Ska" band. "Ska". The song is called "Caress Me Down". I wasn't able to discern all the words but I did manage to catch a few.
"Mucho gusto. Me llamo Bradley. I'm hornier than Ron Jeremy."
"...she pulled out my mushroom tip and when it came out it went drip, drip, drip."
Some of the lyrics were in Spanish. I was grateful neither of us understands much Spanish, Ms J, although I remember thinking "no es bueno."
What in the name of all that's good and holy are kids listening to these days?! And will you listen to me now? I sound like my mother!
Yes, it was a catchy tune. The rhythm was hypnotic. Perfect beat to ... er, dance to. Yes. Just right for dancing. Just right for doing The Horizontal Bop!!
Holy hell, Ms J! I was shocked, but I didn't react. I just listened and agreed with Meagan's assessment.
"Yup, that's about doin' it alright, Scout. I like the tune, but I must admit I'm not too fussy on the words, if you get my drift."
"It's just a song, Dad. Just because I like it doesn't mean I'm having sex."
And so we talked about sex and about her periods and about her latest boyfriend and it was all good. It was not always comfortable, but it was all good.
I've really been working on keeping an open mind and trying to listen without judgment. Tomorrow's Christmas. Dan will be here. No doubt that boy will provide my ultimate challenge.
So help me God.
***

3 Comments:
I dropped by to wish you a Merry Christmas and to thank you for being a blogging buddy.
Ha ha, those young uns' will keep you hoppin'! Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas sausage! Its 3.30pm here down under ...Christmas arvo! "A" got me up at 5am....my belly is full of fresh seafood straight from the reef here (none of that Vietnamese seafood..ick, i don't think they have a great sewerage system)!!
Now, i'm scrounging for chocolate, yummmmmmm scorched almonds....maybe some Christmas cake.......its bloody hot though...33dgs plus 100% humidity...i think a swim maybe in order, errr if you don't hear from me, you know i've drowned with all the food i've consumed! Have a super day :o)
Post a Comment
<< Home