When Men Hurt, and Women Don't
Well, Ms J, here I am again, the proprietor of Mimico's Heartbreak Hotel.
First it was Nick, and his bitterness and drunken foolishness. Now it's Allan. Allan and his wife are friends of mine, both of them. I've known them about four years or so. They've been less than two years married and already, they've split up.
"A trial separation" they call it. Allan arrived here last night with a suitcase and a portable TV. He wore the most crestfallen countenance I've seen on a man in a long, long while.
"We're trying it for a month or so," he told me, his voice flat and devoid of hope. "She says no contact at all until Hallowe'en."
As I said, Ms J, I consider both of them friends. I've spoken with both parties separately since the break-up and one thing seems quite clear:
The man is absolutely shattered while the woman seems fine. How can this be, I wonder? It was the same with Nick and Sue. It was the same with Donna and me. I always thought women were more sensitive than us men. I've always believed a woman would suffer more (or at least more openly) in a relationship breakdown.
But apparently, I was wrong.
I recall the intense suffering I endured when Donna kicked me to the curb. That suffering was only made worse by the fact that she didn't seem to be affected by it at all. If she had shown even the faintest scintilla of remorse, it would have helped me to know she had feelings for me.
Why must you women behave like such cold-hearted shrews? We men have feelings too, you know.
***

8 Comments:
I am guessing that the women have processed a lot of stuff to get to this point, but the men haven't yet. They are bewildered and cast off. Also, it seems to be they who are holding the suitcase and the portable tv and looking for a couch.
Just my opinion ...
I think women are just as sensitive, (and in my experience moreso), however, (also in my experience) we are stronger in these situtations. Practical, pragmatic and knowing that we all just have to get on with life - often because there are children involved who need to be cared for, work to be done etc. And falling to pieces is pretty much just not an option.
I'm only speaking from my experience and the long-term relationship that I in the end had to say "it's over" (although my Dad remains adamant that I was dumped!!).
I'm sorry for your friend though and I agree with anvil that maybe his wife had been 'processing' more before they took this time out, whereas for him it may have been more of a shock.
I think almost anybody who's been in a close relationship hurts when it has ended. In order to be the one who ends it, that person has to be tough and unyielding to hold to the carefully pre-thought out solution. It was hard to have my husband, who had never cried, call me up sobbing and wanting to get back together. It tore my heart out, yet it had to be done.
Also, I think (some) women are angry, and that helps in ending a relationship, while (some) ex's are clueless of why their girlfriend or wife is so angry.
Cold hearted shrews? C'mon Dale - that brush is pretty broad!
I think AC is onto something - chances are the women were processing for a long time already. And not only that, they may only SEEM to not be as affected. Perhaps it's mostly because they know how to hide it.
Hmmmm, well theres a first...a shrew ehhh sausage.
Picture this, my parents married for nearly 30 years, i reckon 15 of those under the same roof but seperate lives. For years my mother tells my dad they need marriage counselling...dad says no. For years she warns him she will leave......one day she did.
Packed a bag and left. My dad phones me up...i must have been around 25 at the time and says your mother has left....i dunno why?? LOL Well duh!!! He tried to get her to come back and of course she'd been living and preparing for the day for years and years, so no way was she going to return.
Yet another reason to LOVE AC. I was left the last two times - but I knew it was coming - I had to prepare myself and then there were kids - so falling apart wasn't an option. I think it also has to do with the way things are percieved. When I was told " I want a divorce" I believed what was said, and planned accordingly. When I have said in the past that a marriage wouldn't work without some conseling - the other party ignored me - and sadly, I was right. A lot of processing goes on - way before something is said about ending things.
I'm with Donna....and because you can't see it don't assume it isn't happening inside.
It does happen the other way too, Dale, as I can testify - and boy does it hurt!
Post a Comment
<< Home