Today's Happenings
My friend Bob popped over this morning and took me out to breakfast. Happy Bob, Ms J, not Angry Bob. Happy Bob is a painter/actor type fellow who's always quick to laugh and slow to anger. AB's off on holidays and I've been working his job this week.
Our train was delayed about forty minutes this morning when a man was struck and killed by the train just ahead of us. Police and ambulance were still on the scene when we passed. Very solemn, Ms J. Police cars and ambulance with lights flashing were parked on the grass beside the track. There was a body, covered with a white sheet, on the ground. I don't know if it was an accident or not. Either way, it's still quite tragic.
I've taken on a small painting job at the church. The wood trim around the front doors is in dire need of repainting. I'm off now to scrape and sand it in the warm sunshine. I hope the weather stays nice, Ms J. I'd like to finish the job this week before the weather turns cold and nasty.
I'm thinking now of an old joke in which Jesus appears before a man who has painted a church. The man made a horrid job of it. He used too much turpentine and the paint was way too thin. There are drips running everywhere, now dried, and he has more paint on the ground than he has on the church. He turns to Jesus for help.
"I've made an awful mess here, Lord. What shall I do?"
"Repaint," says Jesus. "Repaint and thin no more."
Sorry. OK, no more jokes. I'd better hie myself to the church before it's time to go back to work.
***

2 Comments:
Slapping my knee ...
Oh that's sad about the poor man who was killed. Hope that's not a common occurance!
Ha ha, that's a funny joke! Wish the people who had painted the inside of my house had done a better job of it, too.
Post a Comment
<< Home