A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

It Doesn't Look Like a Deck, Does It?

The lumber arrived yesterday afternoon. I called Home Depot at 2:00 and explained my dissatisfaction in terms that were none too gentle.

"I've been waiting since 9:00! Where the hell is my order?"

"Hold please, sir."

I was still holding nearly ten minutes (!!!) later when the sound of hissing air brakes drew me toward the window. The truck had arrived, and not a moment too soon. I had to return to work in less than an hour.


Here's the truck. It held about three other orders besides mine. The green stuff on top is mine. See the little red forklift? The driver uses it to unload his own truck. Cool, eh?

The man lifted the entire order off the truck at once and set it neatly in the driveway. I pulled an old plastic tarp over the bags of cement and stored the screws and nails and other hardware in the garage.


I hope to entice Wally and Angry Bob to help me carry it all into the back yard today. I assume it will look more like a deck when the pieces are reassembled and fastened together. The weatherman is predicting rain all week. Figures eh?

Meagan's Grade 8 Graduation ceremony is this evening. Reckon I'll be booking rest this afternoon ...

***

7 Comments:

Blogger PBS said...

That pile has a lot of potential! Have a good time at Megan's 8th Grade graduation tonight!

28 June 2006 at 08:33  
Blogger Loner said...

Good luck on the deck - it will be lovely!

28 June 2006 at 09:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dale how long have you known that tonight would be Scout's graduation? Ever think that perhaps you should think AHEAD and actually book vacation or personal time for such an event? Dale, I can just imagine the way your supervisors will feel when they find out you have booked off for REST again; talk about rubbing people's noses in things! This is a blantant reason some people hate unions!

28 June 2006 at 10:35  
Blogger Donna said...

So tell us Dale - what did she wear?

28 June 2006 at 17:04  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Sure it looks like a deck! (less a lot of sweat and hard work)! Good Luck! ~ jb///

28 June 2006 at 18:36  
Blogger Melody said...

Amen anonymous! Unions were created for a reason and people like this taking advantage of them is why they have outserved their purpose. Get a real job1

28 June 2006 at 20:45  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am wondering if you should say that Wally, Angry Bob, and *Angry Dale* will be building the deck? You seem to have *such* a temper. From your last post, didn't you say Home Depot would deliver between 9:00 and 3:00? Sounds like they kept their end of the bargin. I feel badly for the service rep who had to be yelled at even though his company had done nothing wrong and ended up keeping its promise.

When I was young, I always told myself I would pursue a career that would keep me away from servicing the general public. I don't think I could take the daily abuse from overheated individuals.

28 June 2006 at 22:38  

Post a Comment

<< Home