A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Al Fresco Worship

Today was our last Sunday at Wesley for more than a month. Our church will be closed for the month of July. We did the same thing last year. I spent the month visiting other churches here in Mimico. This year, I think I’ll explore a bit further afield. I want to visit a church in Oakville I’ve heard about. And I’d love to attend a service at Metropolitan United, Toronto’s huge downtown United church. Or St. Michael’s, the rich downtown Catholic church and the principle Church of the Archdiocese of Toronto. Maybe I’ll go to church with my neighbours, the Moltos. They attend St. Leo’s Catholic church here in Mimico. That’s where I went for World Day of Prayer back in March, Ms J. Remember? They were very nice there. And no, Ms Journal, I’m not thinking of converting to Catholicism.

It’s a bonny day today and 20C. Perfect for our annual outdoor service. I rehearsed a few songs with the choir last Thursday and I joined them on the front lawn of the church this morning. Accompanied by three guitars, two clarinets and a fid ... er, a violin, we sang under the great, leafy branches of a matronly Maple tree. I think the congregation enjoyed the informal service. And when Wesley reopens in August, I’ll be donning a robe and joining them in the choir loft. I’m not much of a singer, really. But I like all the people in the choir and I do enjoy music. And you know I love to perform for an audience!

Some of the songs they do are really difficult ones, Ms J, and I'll admit to being more a fan of Hank Williams than of J.S. Bach, but our choir is small in number. They really need more male voices. I told Emile, the music director, that when I'm rehearsing a play, I may not be available for choir practices. He understood completely.

"Just come on out when you can, Dale," he said in his delightful South African accent. "We'll be glad to see you."

You know, Ms Journal, I attend Wesley Mimico United Church for a number of reasons, but among the most compelling is the sense I have of belonging there. I feel welcome there. I've always felt that way. And don't we all long to feel a sense of belonging to something bigger than ourselves?

***

5 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I hope you enjoy gadding about to various churches, and I really hope you enjoy singing in the choir when the times comes.

25 June 2006 at 20:30  
Blogger Michelle said...

Nothing like the sounds of a talented "fiddler"!

25 June 2006 at 20:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an interesting concept! Since I lead the band at my church, I'm pretty much locked into being there every Sunday with almost no exception. It would be great to be able to check out other churches for a few weeks to see what unique flavors they bring to the table. Maybe I'll suggest that I be granted some mini-sabbaticals.
By the way, my childhood best friend and next door neighbor in Mimico went to St. Leo's. At the time, I regarded it as a place of much mystery, and a little bit scary, due to Ricky's tales of cruelty from the teacher/nuns at the attached school there. I was probably wrong!
Enjoy your travels in the body of Christ, Dale!

26 June 2006 at 01:27  
Blogger PBS said...

That's a neat idea, a vacation from church! Gives you time to visit other churches.

26 June 2006 at 08:58  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

Ah yes, it's nice to find a church where you feel that sense of belonging.

Happy wandering!

26 June 2006 at 09:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home