A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Thursday, May 04, 2006

"Ye Done Good!"

That's what my grandma Pringle used to tell us, Ms J, when she was proud of us. And I think I did a nice thing yesterday.

Alex and I went to see Jennefer yesterday. It was good, Ms J. It's always good to spend time with friends, especially faraway friends. We chatted and rocked to a Green Day CD and thoroughly enjoyed the hour long car ride through the rolling countryside to Orangeville.


A smiling Jenn met us at the door of her basement spa.

"Welcome, Alex!" she said. "C'mon in."

I wanted to stay and visit with the women, but I understand a facial is kind of a private thing. Just for girls, you know. I remember last year when Jenn gave me a facial, it was ... Ahem. Er, yes.

I left them together there and turned to go upstairs.

"Give her a pedicure too, Jenn," I said and tucked some money into her blouse. "If you think her peds need curing. And come fetch me when you get that goop on her face. I want to take a picture of that. For my blog, eh? OK, G.A? Are you OK with your picture being posted on the world wide web? Are you?"

My friend had but one word for me in response.

"Whatever."


Pink and green!

I visited with Jane over a cup of tea in the dining room while Jenn worked her magic with Alex. After nearly two hours, they finally emerged.

"I feel fabulous!" chirped Alex. "I got a pedicure too!"

It was her first facial, Ms J. And her first pedicure. The girl's nineteen now, and I think it's time she was pampered a bit. Jenn excels at pampering people. She makes everyone feel special. We celebrated the event with treats from the local Dairy Queen. Ice cream sundaes and peanut parfaits. Dee-lumptious!

I felt really good about making that experience possible for Alex. She hasn't much money and continues to search for a rewarding job. Jenn and Jane can always use a bit of extra cash, so it helped them a little too. And I got to spend time with some of my favourite women. Everybody's a winner, no? I would like to have stayed a bit longer, but I had to return to Mimico to go back to work.

As we descended the great hill known locally as the Caledon Mountain, Girl Alex turned to me and smiled. Her smile is so luminous it nearly breaks my heart.

"I had a brilliant time today, Dale. Thanks."

"You're welcome, hunny. Happy Birthday."

She touched her smooth cheeks with her fingers.

"My face feels so soft. And my feet! Oh my God, Dale! Look at my feet! I feel so beautiful!"

I nodded because I knew the Truth of what I was about to say.

"You ARE beautiful, Alex. You are absolutely gorgeous!"

And we smiled silently together all the way to the bottom of the hill.

***

5 Comments:

Blogger Heather Plett said...

Nice job, Dale. She's lucky to have a friend like you!

4 May 2006 at 16:59  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Ah, you're a good-hearted old soul.

4 May 2006 at 17:07  
Blogger gemmak said...

What a lovely thing to do...and brave girl to have her picture blogged like that! hehe

4 May 2006 at 18:52  
Blogger Michelle said...

Awww, that was so beautiful. You're probably the closest thing she has to a father, you can tell she loves you to bits. That was a very specail thing to do :o)

Errr Jenn, there's plenty of people in Australia who need pedicures and facials...if you and Jane ever think of moving LOL ;)

4 May 2006 at 21:01  
Blogger oshee said...

I am so in need of a pedicure. Money has been tight, so I've done my best on my own. With mother's day coming up I've been sending hints my husband's way.

You are a good man. It is a wise man who understand the essential nature of pampering a lady.

5 May 2006 at 02:24  

Post a Comment

<< Home