A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

A Trainload of Stress, Heading My Way

Just one word, Ms J.

Neil.

He's the single most irritating human being I have ever encountered. And he's coming to work on my train next week. I am not pleased.

I've written about this man before. I endured nine weeks of Neil early last year. I finally had to break my leg to escape him. Remember? I sure do.

Why Lord? Why must he work on my train? He's an engineer like me. I have to sit beside him in the locomotive every day. Every blessed day. The man never takes a day off.

I have at least two choices, as I see it. I can suffer his criticism and endure his bragging, or I can leave the train I enjoy running, and work on a different one.

Right now, Ms Journal, this is what I envision on Monday. I've been rehearsing it.

"I see you've returned to Job 10, Neil. The last time you were here was the most stressful period I've ever had at work. Ever. I don't like you, Neil. I don't want to work with you. I will spend this week here and if you're still on this train on Friday, I will apply for a different assignment."

Whatta ya think, Ms J? Too harsh?

***

4 Comments:

Blogger oshee said...

First, good luck with Neil.

Now on to what I really want to talk about. Isn't that just the way life is?

I see you have been a dedicated blogger for a couple of years. I look forward to the enjoyable hours I will get to spend with your words.
You sound like a good person who has grown to understand much of himself. I respect that.
I enjoyed your post about the wedding. When such moments offer reflections on our own lives, it is powerful to take the time to think it out.
I look forward to joining you more in the future.

26 April 2006 at 17:46  
Blogger Michelle said...

Ecckkk, i remember him..yuk. I'd call the shots straight from the beginning, don't give him the chance to be ferral.

26 April 2006 at 19:19  
Blogger Zulu said...

Couldn't you politely tell him that you prefer he keep his pie-hole shut? :)

Seriously, I think there is a way to be very up front about the fact that you are in a close space for extended periods of time and that you would prefer it to go a certain way. Sometimes people like that just need to be told, bluntly to fuck off.

26 April 2006 at 22:33  
Blogger PBS said...

I'd vote for the idea of telling him firmly but politely. Saying that you don't like him and don't want to work with him might cause an argument though, kinda harsh. Every the most unlikable person doesn't take being told that very well!

27 April 2006 at 08:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home