A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Still here, Ms J. Still trying to find Christmas.

I went out this morning in search of a Christmas tree. I know, I know. I already have a tree. I just have to put it up and decorate it. Sounds easy, doesn't it? Well it's not. It's a pain in the arse, and I don't want to do it. A friend made a good suggestion:

"Just buy a little tree," he said. "Pre-lit and pre-decorated. All you have to do is set it on a table somewhere and plug it in. That's what the missus and I did this year. Seventy bucks."

I spent the better part of two hours today, going from shop to shop, in a vain search for a little tree - "Pre-lit and pre-decorated." But I had no luck at all. I would have paid more than $70., Ms J. I would have paid a king's ransom to have found what I wanted straight away and returned home with a satisfied smile.

But it was not to be.

Instead, I spent more money on Dan and Meagan.

Chicken Soup For The Teenage Soul
CD's and DVD's.
mP3 players.
A sweater for Dan.
More stocking stuffers.
Wrapping paper.

I came home feeling as though I'd just wasted $400. There are hungry people in this town who could really use that money. But I gave it to big business instead.

I'll keep looking til I find a little tree. I'll put up a few silly decorations. And I'll wrap all the junk I bought and give it to my kids. I'll force a smile and pretend I'm happy. But really, Ms Journal, it's all a big nothing, this Christmas.

For me, anyway.

Just a big, empty nothing.

I can't wait til Boxing Day.

6 Comments:

Blogger Matthew May said...

Sounds like you had quite an adventure :)
I get two trees usually. A big one for the living room ( real one ) love the smell. :) And a smaller one for my kitchen.

I think decorating is the best part. :)

Merry Christmas!

8 December 2005 at 17:21  
Blogger PBS said...

Oh, sorry to hear that you just can't get into Christmas yet. I hope it hits you soon!

8 December 2005 at 19:55  
Blogger Kris said...

HIYA! Here is some Christmas cheer for you...I got two blog redesigns under my belt (one in progress) due to your little button...hopefully "design a blog" will give you a free blog redesign...now go bug them about it! Merry Christmas!

K.

9 December 2005 at 02:08  
Blogger Zette said...

It's been a LONG year for you Dale; some not so good but lots of really awesome. Keep the awesome in mind when trying to find your Christmas spirit, and all else will fall into place. As it should, no?

9 December 2005 at 02:42  
Blogger Donna said...

I wish you could come to ours for Christmas Dale. I've enough cheer for the both of us :) Hope you find yours soon xxx

9 December 2005 at 04:33  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dale: You should be in the UK - everyone I've heard (or overheard) talking about Christmas is always saying how much they don't like it. They do like to complain over here, but I can sympathise. Your comment about giving money to big business is one reason I stopped exchanging gifts with my family. If someone really wants to get me something, I suggest a donation to charity. That doesn't apply to kids, though - they still get presents. I was just tired of trudging around crowded stores buying stuff for people who didn't need it. There are parts of Christmas I do like, but not that part.

Thanks for the compliment a couple of comments ago on my blog, by the way. Flattery will get you everywhere! :-)

9 December 2005 at 18:09  

Post a Comment

<< Home