A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Friday, December 09, 2005

Getting There

I found a little Christmas tree today, Ms Journal. It's still in its carton. I haven't been able to get round to setting it up just yet, but I have invited a friend over to help me. Andra. Not Andrea. Andra. I call her Andie.

"Can you pop over tonight, Andie," I asked her today, "and help me put up my little tree?"

"Got any wine?" she asked bluntly.

"Yup. I sure do. Bought some this afternoon. Yellow Tail cabernet."

Andie and I love Aussie wines, Ms J. Red. White. Whatever. If it's Australian, it's good.

"OK," she said. "Is it OK if Mario comes?"

Mario's her new beau. I haven't met him yet. I'm sure he's very nice but I can tell you right now, Ms J, he's not good enough for my friend Andra. Nothing personal, Mario, old man. I don't think anybody's good enough for my dear, sweet Andie.

"Yeah, sure. If he wants to come, bring him along. What does he like to drink?"

"Juice. Tea. Coffee. Pop."

"So he won't be ---"

"No, Dale. He won't be drinking any of our wine."

Her laughter came to me then, through the phone. "More for us then, eh?"

"Yes, Andie. More for us. I'll pick you up around 7:00. How's that sound?"

She said that was fine. Mario will be joining us here a bit later. I better go and find some decorations. Andie's really good at decorating. It's good to have friends to help.

She'll help decorate the place, while I help myself to the wine. Maybe there's hope for me yet.

***

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, that is more like it. Hope a good time was enjoyed by all. It is a difficult time for a lot of us but it is so nice to see a tree and lights and decorations -- no matter how small. Enjoy. P.S. I read your Swiss lady's Christmas search for things Australian -- sounds like it will be difficult for them but knowing the Australians they will make it fun trying. Enjoy your Aussie wine. AJH

9 December 2005 at 19:54  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Yellow Tail is good. Deck the halls with your yellow tail, fa la la la la ...

Glad you found a tree.

9 December 2005 at 20:03  
Blogger Cuppa said...

Mmmm - Yellow tail - my favorite too.
Have fun decorating and sipping.

Thanks for the Christmas greetings that arrived snail mail today. Festive hugs are on their way to you too.

10 December 2005 at 09:15  

Post a Comment

<< Home