A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Friday, October 21, 2005

Sumac

Hah! Got yer attention didn't I?

Sumac is a plant. A tree, I reckon. It's pronounced Sue-Mac. Dad calls it shoo-mac. I don't know why. Just to bug me, I s'pose. It's proper name is Staghorn Sumac because the stems are covered with short, reddish-brown hair much like the velvet on a stag's antlers.

Anyway, last year about this time, I posted a story about Sumac. Well actually, it was about a co-worker - Katy - and her angry reaction to the changing leaves on the Sumac trees. If you'd like to read it, click right here.

Gemmak asked then if I might post a pic or two of the resplendent shrubs. I've thought of her request many times since then. It's really difficult to get a photo of the leaves when I'm at work, because it's either too early or too late in the day and not ideal conditions for photography.

However, I did take a couple of shots when I visited my dad a while back. So here, without further ado, is the Sumac bush in my father's back garden. As usual, click on the images to see them full size.


Still lots of green leaves. But not for long!

Try to imagine great expanses of this stuff beside the tracks, Ms J. Both sides of the tracks. With the sunrise as a backdrop. It's really pretty! Look at the leaves close-up:


*

They start out green; shortly, though, as the nights are cool and days sunny, they fade to a yellow and finally bright crimson. It fills me with joy. It makes me gasp and laugh out loud sometimes.


*


A small corner of an amazing canvas, painted just for me and improved slightly, every day!

I hope this helps satisfy your curiosity, Scottie. Sorry it took so long!

***

3 Comments:

Blogger gemmak said...

Yayyyyy.....good memory there Dale, that was a while back! heh. Well worth the wait tho, what fabulous colours, it must be beautiful to see them all as you described. Thank you for taking the time and for remembering. Lovely shots too :o) xxx

21 October 2005 at 15:51  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pictures of the sumac. We had lots of them at our cottage in the 40's and early 50's. I still remember them - that is good isn't it? Re your furnace - we paid $128 per month on equal billing last year - this year it is $148 on equal billing. We got a new furnace in February - Sipco - great company - great service. They come on the day that they say they will and they come at the time they say they will. Very reliable. Think about it Dale. AJH

21 October 2005 at 21:11  
Blogger Michelle said...

My goodness, they are so pretty! I love the leaves in Autumn :)

22 October 2005 at 06:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home