I'm Shaking, Ms Journal.
No, it's not that. Don't worry. I'm fine, really. Kelly's evil spell hasn't affected me yet. I'm shivering because I'm cold. It's cold in this house. I have not yet had the furnace on this season. I'm wearing two pairs of socks, and a heavy sweatshirt. (It's called a "hoodie." Alex taught me that.) And I'm still cold. It's not that cold outside, really. 10C here in Mimico. But it is windy.
This old house is not very warm in winter. It was built, I think, in the 1930's. It has little or no insulation. The windows do not seal very well. The walls are cold to the touch. I plan to seal up the windows with clear plastic as I did last winter. That helps keep the cold draughts at bay. And I've packed some fibreglass insulation around the basement walls. But it's still cold in here.
Why don't you just switch on the furnace, dopey?
I know, I know. That's what you're thinking, Ms J. Isn't it?
Well, I'm really going to try to keep my heating bill manageable this winter. It won't be easy. Last winter, during the coldest months - December to March - I suffered fuel bills as high as $400 per month. This is NOT a big house, Ms J. It's maybe a thousand square feet. Maybe. Less, probably. But it's a bugger to heat.
This year, fuel prices have increased forty to fifty percent. It's conceivable that I might pay nearly $600. per month, in the bitterest months. Bitterest. Most bitter? Whatever. I'm concerned about huge looming oil bills.
I have an oil furnace. You should see the thing. It's positively ancient. In Truth, it was once a coal burning appliance, converted years ago to burn fuel oil. I suppose the furnace itself is as old as the house. Seventy years or so. I'm considering the purchase of a new high-efficiency model which would surely be less thirsty. But it would cost a couple of thousand dollars - which I don't have - and it would be a long time paying for itself through reduced fuel consumption.
Meanwhile, I'll keep the door closed, cover the windows, and put on more clothes. Every day I sit and shiver, is one less day I'll have to pay to heat this place.
Now what'd I do with my long underwear?
***

5 Comments:
We have always tried to hang on until October, at least with the furnace, but we don't have a fireplace any more, so it might get difficult, especially in significantly colder Ottawa. On the plus side, our house is smaller, better insulated, and has a more efficient furnace, so the bills might not be too bad, relatively speaking. The economics are now such that it might be worthwhile for you to switch to a high efficiecny furnace, but it is a rather considerable outlay.
LMAO @ Dopey!! Heh...Canadian for "nutter"?? LOL
I hear you, albiet in reverse. It's our Spring, and it's 32dgs...23 overnight. Heavens, i have everything electric here, i don't want to start using the air conditioning.....but i am. I dred the power bill, but, i have no heating bills, so i guess it's a trade off. My Summer electricity bill...remember i have no oil or gas anything...everything runs on electricty..ie hot water...pool...watering system....is usually $650AU for 3 months. Thats running air conditioning non stop too for 3 months. In Winter my bill for 3 months is around $280AU.
I have been to your blog a number of times but never had a chance to post a comment (love it). At any rate I understand! To be perfectly honest, I turned my furnace on once in August...it was COLD then too...it's colder now but I too will be enduring HUGE bills this winter. Where do I get my hands on some of those long underwear anyways...I've never bought any! Here's to a warmer winter!
K.
This creates an image for me of you Canadians sitting round old-fashioned well furnaces I guess. Here in UK we just call it switching on the heating which generally runs on gas. I recently purchased a new boiler which heats the water for the heating and the hot water and we probably pay around £40/month heating, even through the winter. I guess it's a tad colder where you are!!
Jennefer...c'mon down! Escape your Winter for our Summer, and YES any more laid back we'd be dead LOL!
Remember to bring the sunscreen!
Post a Comment
<< Home