A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

She Needed Me

And I was there.

Meagan called today. Collect. After I'd accepted the charges, I heard Meagan's voice on the other end. Something was wrong.

"Hi Daddy," she began. "I'm calling you from camp. I have a bit of a problem."

My heart skipped a beat.

"What's the matter, Scout? Is everything alright?"

"Yeah, but I have a little problem. I tried calling Mum but her phone won't accept collect calls."

I felt so relieved that I was home to answer the phone when she called.

"Tell me what's wrong, Meagan. I'll help you."

But she was more than a little reticent. The longer she hesitated, the more concerned I became. I waited impatiently, listening to my breath in the phone.

"Well," she began slowly, "I kinda started my period a little while ago. Remember when I first got it, Dad? And I had to come home from school and I was bleeding so much even Mummy was scared? Remember that?"

"Yes, honey. I remember."

She was feeling more comfortable as she talked openly with me and her speech resumed its normal tempo and trill.

"Well, then everything seemed OK for a couple of months and then I didn't get my period for, like four months."

There was a moment of awkward silence as I took in what she'd said. I sat here gravely nodding my head and waiting for the rest of the story.

"And now, Meagan?"

"Now it's back, Dad. After four months, it's back. With a vengence. And I don't have anything with me. Can you call Mum and ask her to bring me some tampons. I need the super ones, Dad. The super duper ones."

I thought of my friend, Jennefer.
Jenn lives in Orangeville, less than ten minutes from Teen Ranch.

"I'll call Jenn, Meagan. She lives the closest. It would take Mum an hour to get there. Me too. Jenn can buy you what you need and be there in fifteen minutes. How's that?"

She was fine with that and so I hung up the phone and dialed Jenn's number.

"Please be home, Jenn. Please Lord, let her be home. Either her or Jane."

My friends were both at home. They went out immediately and purchased Meagan's feminine products. Then they drove to Teen Ranch, found my girl in bunkhouse #3, and gave her the package.

Fifteen minutes later, my phone rang again. It was Jenn.

"Mission accomplished," she said.

I'm pleased that Meagan called me (and not Scott) when she needed help. And I'm thrilled that I was there for her. Thank you Jenn and Jane! How lucky we are that you live so close to that camp!

***

7 Comments:

Blogger Zette said...

I've got chills Dale! (and no, it has nothing to do with the fan that's blowing on me...LOL!) What an amazing sense of trust your little girl must have for you, in order to have called when faced with such a private matter! I'm tickled pink! Kudos to Jenn and Jane as well!

4 August 2005 at 03:22  
Blogger Michelle said...

Awwww, i am so glad she was able to get you and not one of those other men. Yaay for Jenn and Jane to come to the rescue.

4 August 2005 at 04:29  
Blogger Cuppa said...

That post just warms my heart. How wonderful that your little girl could call on you and talk to about something so personal. You are a great dad!!!!

4 August 2005 at 08:13  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

Yeah - what everyone else said - she's lucky to have you to call. I know, at that age, my Dad would have been one of the last people I would have called with something like that.

4 August 2005 at 09:40  
Blogger Zulu said...

This so reminded me of myself when I was that age. Had to call my dad as well. And he delivered. You are a great dad just like he is.

4 August 2005 at 10:38  
Blogger Dora said...

Its working Dale - you are rebuilding the relationship one day and one event at a time. That's not luck - that's love.

4 August 2005 at 16:21  
Blogger Linda said...

I echo all of the above comments. For me, just like Heather, my dad would have been the last person on earth I would call. You handled the whole situation just the way I would want my dad to handle it if I were in the same position. This is an event that your daughter will always remember.

5 August 2005 at 15:25  

Post a Comment

<< Home