Sherri
Sherri's my niece. She's the daughter of my big brother, Pat. Sherri was my first niece and maybe that's why she's still my favourite. I've always felt very close to her. She and her older brother still live at home with their parents, Pat and Linda.
Sherri is 24. She values herself. She has hopes and dreams for the future. Sherri has vowed never to be financially dependent on a man, and to guard against that ever happening, she's training to become a dental hygienist.

I had an appointment for Sherri to clean my teeth on Thursday last. That's why I had to rush home from the county. She has to complete thirty oral inspections and cleanings in order to graduate. The course is eighteen months long and is divided into four semesters. She's just begun her third semester. She's a keen student and seems to really enjoy it.
It costs $25. for a cleaning, which is probably one-sixth of the cost at a regular dental office. There is a downside to it, though. The treatment wasn't completed in one appointment.
"Yeah, you'll probably have to come about four times, Uncle Dale," she told me. "I know it's inconvenient. I hope it's alright though." And she smiled hopefully. Sherri has a radiant smile with beautiful white teeth.
"It takes a long time," she explained, "because a dentist has to inspect every single step you take in the process. First, I have to examine your entire face and note every bump and blemish. Then I have to do the same inside your mouth. I have to check your tongue and cheeks and the roof and floor of your mouth and write down everything I see." She nodded her head and then shook her long hair away from her face. "It takes a while, eh?"
I'm fine with all that, Ms J. Because in the end, it's not about getting my teeth cleaned. It's about helping my niece achieve her goal of becoming a qualified dental hygienist. She may one day earn more than $30. an hour.
"That's fine, Sherri," I said. "Lean me back, girl. And let's git to gittin'!"
The back of the chair fell away and I leaned back and followed it down. She pulled her white mask up over her face and bent slightly to look at me. I looked into her green eyes. They were smiling.
"Sherri?"
"Yeah?"
"I'm really proud of you, you know."
And I am, Ms J. I'm proud of my niece.

I'll be returning next Thursday at noon for phase two.
***

2 Comments:
I'm impressed Dale. I swear, the dentist is the last place i ever visit. I have vivid memories of my dentist as a child, it traumatised me so much! I must say i am fortunate i have no fillings and my teeth are straight thanks to braces as a kid!
Nice of you to support her that way. Anyone who's willing to sit through 4 dental visits must be one awesome uncle!
Post a Comment
<< Home