A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Monday, August 01, 2005

On My Mind Today

August has arrived and with it, a return to hot, humid weather. 30C today and sunny. Feels like 39C. I won’t complain about it though. Folks in Australia are in winter. They’d be glad of 30C. Down in Texas and Florida and Georgia, it’s hot and humid every day in the summer. Much worse than here, I’ll bet. And in the UK, they’d probably be glad to see the sun. So I won't complain. Much.




Tomorrow morning, I'm going back to St. Joe's to visit my orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Summeroff. Well, that's not really his name, Ms J. It's Dr. Roscoe. I call him that because he seems to encourage me taking the summer off. My appointment is for 9:30. I think there's a good chance he'll send me back to work, although I said that last month. And in June. My leg is fine. The metal plate hurts a bit in the morning, but once I get up and moving, it's not too bad. My toes and ankle move pretty well now. Not like before the accident of course, but better than a few months ago. I walk every day or ride my bike, so I think I could handle the exercise that my job demands. We'll see what ol' Doc Summeroff says tomorrow morning.




Meagan’s at camp this week. Teen Ranch. It’s a riding camp. She went last year too. Remember? She had a fantastic time and so I paid to send her again. She’ll be there seven days. There’s a rodeo next Saturday as a finale to the week's activities and to demonstrate to the parents what the kids have learned. I’ll be there.

It pisses me off to have to share that day with all of Kelly’s men friends. Scott, her estranged but not yet ex husband, will be there. Tim is the man she was with after Scott left. Tim’s the father of Meagan’s half-sister. Emily is about nineteen months old. Tim will be there. And Gary. Good ol’ Gary. That’s the last guy she was with. I think. Or maybe “Bob.” I heard Dan and Scout talk about Bob when they were here on Guitar Day. Maybe he’s Kelly's latest penis/paycheque.

I’ll be there, though. I’ll meet these clowns on Saturday and shake their hands and pretend I’m pleased to see them. Just like I did last year. I’ll pretend I’m fine with all of it. I’ll survive it – even enjoy it – because I’ll be there for my girl. I’ll be there for Meagan. My focus will be on my Scout.

***

2 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Your a clever "cookie" Dale. Although it may eat you up inside, remember, it's you that has the upper hand!

1 August 2005 at 22:43  
Blogger Zette said...

Every good rodeo needs a few clowns to liven things up. But the real show stopper will be Meagan....how proud you must be and how lucky she is to have you as her daddy!

***
"Kelly's latest penis/paycheque" just about made me pee my pants!!!

Good luck at the doctor's!!!

2 August 2005 at 04:10  

Post a Comment

<< Home