How it was/How it is
I'm home from the hospital, Ms J. Joan was kind enough to deliver me there and collect me afterward. Parking is nearly impossible around the hospital. My appointment was scheduled for 9:30 and they were running on time at the fracture clinic this morning. How nice! I waited less than 15 minutes before my name was called.
"Dale Pringle?"
As I stood and walked toward the door, I remembered my first few visits there and how painful it all was: removal of the cast, lying still for an x-ray, and then being fitted with a new cast. How far I've come since those dark days, I thought. How much has changed. I despaired then of ever being my old self again. I followed the technician into the x-ray department and smiled behind him.

How it was. Feb. 8, 2005 Ouch!!
I removed my sandal and laid down on the table. It was thinly padded and covered with a white linen bed sheet. Above my head loomed the x-ray camera, a machine that still amazes me even though it is, by today's standards, old technology. Lying on my right side, I extended my right leg down and turned my foot out. I'm quite familiar with the procedure now, Ms Journal. The man placed a rectangular black panel beneath my lower leg and then covered my hip with a small lead shield. X-rays cannot penetrate lead and so my testicles remained protected from radiation.
"That's fine. Hold still please."
Buzzzz.
"OK. On your back now. We'll get a shot from the front."
Black panel. Lead pad. Buzzzz.
"OK. That's it then. All done. You can go and see the doctor now."

How it is. A titanium plate and nine screws. No wonder my leg still feels sore sometimes.
I wandered back across the hall and climbed onto an examination table. I waited no more than five minutes to see the doctor.
"And how are you feeling today?" he asked and it looked as though he were addressing my foot. I assumed he was talking to me, though, so I told him I was fine.
"How's the foot?" he asked. "Have you regained any of the movement there?"
I pointed my toes down and wiggled my foot for him.
"Yeah, Doc," I said proudly. "I'm doing real well. See?"
He nodded his head and scribbled something on my chart. I craned my neck to see what he'd written, but of course, it was illegible.
"Are you ready to go back to work?"
His question caught me off guard. I suppose I could return to work anytime now. I'm probably strong enough now. But the Truth, Ms J, is that I'm nervous about going back. I can't remember all the things I need to know to do my job. I don't know the schedule anymore. I can't remember all the train numbers. And I sure as hell don't fancy getting out of bed at 4:00 a.m. The Truth is that I've grown fat and lazy and I really don't want to go back to work. I haven't worked in six months. I'm having too much fun now to go back to work.
"Well," I began slowly. "Maybe I should take a couple more weeks. I think I could use another fortnight."
I waited then and when he didn't respond immediately, I added, "Or ten days. Or a week even. Whatever you think."
"I put down September 5th on this medical form. That'll get you paid til then," he said. "No sense rushing back to work. Maybe you could kind of ease into it. Gradually, you know?" And he handed me the form he'd filled out.
"As far as I'm concerned, your leg is healed. You can go back to work whenever you want. Take a few more weeks, though, if you feel you need more time. I noticed you still walk with a bit of a limp. Does it hurt to walk, or is it just weak muscles?"
I told him it hurt a bit first thing in the morning, but mostly it was just weakness that caused the limp.
He offered his hand to help me off the table. "Come back and see me in six weeks. I imagine you'll be back to work by then, eh?"
I was nodding my head before he'd finished speaking. "Oh yeah. I'll take another week or two and then start easing back into it."
"Good then. See you next month." He squeezed my shoulder and patted me. "You'll be alright now, Dale. You're alright now."
Yup. I'm alright now, Ms J. I've put a mark on the calender to indicate my return to work. August 29th.
No sense rushing back to work. Maybe I could kind of ease into it. Gradually, you know?
***

7 Comments:
I don't blame you one bit.
You lucky sausage! Just a thought, would it be possibel for you to go back like 2 days a week and ease into 5 again?
That's no fun to have an injury, even if you did get off from work! I think more time off is a good thing!
Finally, the light at the end of this dark tunnel is shining bright. I bet you'll ease right back into work with little problem. A few more weeks to prepare yourself mentally for the early morning schedule and you'll be on top of the world.
Take care, Dale!
Hey Dale,
Thats GREAT news......On two fronts....
1 - You CAN go back to work....
2 - You CAN still be off for the rest of the summer.
Perfect...If you ask me.
Cheers Mate!!!
It would be good if you could go back part time and ease back into it gradually.
OI hated when i had to go back to work after a long illness, I was so nervous and feltjust like you but I bet if you ease yourself into it gently in no time at all it will all come back to you and it will be like you were never away. Good luck my friend, it's been a long haul for you but you're almost there now :o)
Post a Comment
<< Home