A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Not Everyone Is Pleased

You can't please everyone, can you? Dan is looking forward to his new job. I'm glad and proud that he's suddenly doing so well. But The Boy's mother is not so happy.

Kelly had hoped that Dan would find work in Acton. That way, he could live with her and pay rent. She and Tim are suffering some financial hardship right now because Tim was laid off and will remain so throughout the winter. He works (worked) for a company that installs lawn sprinkler systems. Soon the ground will be frozen and nearly impenetrable.

Dan told me Tim is irresponsible with money. He has credit card debts he cannot pay. Kelly and Tim argue frequently about Tim's reckless spending habits. Dan says collection agencies phone there daily to inquire about Tim's whereabouts and to ask when they might expect a payment. Every so often, Meagan mentions that they may have to move again. She says she doesn't want to move.

"All my friends are here, Dad. I don't know why Mum and Tim want to move."

I know why. But I keep my thoughts to myself.

You see Ms J, Kelly is getting the dirty end of the stick while I've made out like a bandit. I no longer pay child support for Dan. That's about $300 a month I get to keep. Dan will pay me rent. So that's another $300 a month. Meanwhile, Kelly receives no support, either for Dan or from him. I still pay support for Scout.

Seems to me, poor old Tim ought to go out and find himself a job somewhere. And the pair of them might want to consider living a little more frugally. Lord knows, they really haven't much in the way of "nice" things. Should I help Kelly financially? I honestly can't afford to right now.

See that, Ms J? That's what emotional neediness gets you. That's the reward for Kelly's hungry heart. And Tim's, I suppose. A Life of misery and torment. Fighting and fearing the worst. Fending off collection agencies. Wringing the hands and wishing things were different.

"Mum and Tim aren't really a couple anymore, Dad," said Dan last night in the car. "They live together but they're just friends. Good friends, Mum says."

Lovely. Kelly lives with her jobless "friend" and his ten-month-old child. She must be so unhappy.

"Mum always asks me to look after Emily, Dad," Meagan said on the phone yesterday. "Mum stays in bed til noon if she can. I don't want to watch the baby. It's not my job, Dad. It's Mum's baby. She should look after her."

"Why does Mum sleep so late, Scout?"

"Well, she always goes out after supper. She goes to her friend's house and she doesn't come home til, like, 2 or 3 in the morning."

They say history repeats itself, Ms Journal. Kelly behaved the same way when I was married to her. I was a mean, selfish prick and Kelly went looking for someone who'd respect her and fulfill her need for Love.

I wouldn't care about Kelly at all, but my little girl is affected by this. What kind of example is Kelly showing her? And why can't Meagan be allowed a childhood free of worry and adult responsibility?

I won't speak to Kelly about my feelings. It's pointless. She'd get defensive and then she'd attack me and resurrect peccadilloes from the distant past. When that didn't work, she'd attack my family and criticize my choice of friends. Finally, she'd resort to accusing me of being a lousy father. Eventually, she'd hit the right button and I'd explode in a rage of violent language, using words like weapons aimed at the most sensitive areas of the heart.

Been there, Ms J. Done that. About a zillion bloody times. I'm NOT doing it again. We BOTH lose. And the kids suffer as well.

The Universe is unfolding as it should. Kelly will learn and grow, or she won't. The kids will one day see her for what she is. Or not.

I resolve to continue being the best Dad I can be and hope and pray Dan and Meagan follow my example, not their mother's. God help her.

Yes. Let that be my prayer at bedtime. God, help her. Amen.

Night, Ms J.


4 Comments:

Blogger magz said...

sigh. it is what it is... and you ARE a great dad dale. "to thine own self.. be true" tomorrow's turkey day here in the states, and marking the 3rd one my boy's gotten an institutional dinner for. let's just hope it's the LAST one he has no choices for...you just hang in there pardner... yer on the right wavelength all the way!

24 November 2004 at 12:42  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Seems like you are growing but that Maw has remained at the emotional age of about 22. Too bad really as I'm sure you want to see her get on with her life and be content.

24 November 2004 at 14:33  
Blogger magz said...

whoa! insight! jack may be onta sumpin there... dan probably knows. anyhoo, love ya pardner... how's yer bran new house feeling?

24 November 2004 at 21:17  
Blogger Dale said...

Thank you all so much for your support. It's good to know I'm on the right track. Jack, you may be right. But I hope not. I just can't bring myself to believe they're using crack. I know they both enjoy smoking pot. Anvilcloud, I just wish Kelly would learn that she doesn't need a man in order to survive. It's a lesson I pray Meagan will learn before she, too, becomes dependent on a man. And Maggie, I'm liking my new kitchen, thank you. It's the same ol' house, but with a kitchen now restored to its former condition. They even matched the paint exactly. You'd never know there'd been any damage. Amazing!

25 November 2004 at 09:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home