A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Flood Damage and Repair

I experienced a bit of a weather phenomenon last week. It rained in my kitchen, remember? Well, on Tuesday, I began the process of assessing and repairing the damage. I called the insurance company.

"Yes sir," I was told. "We'll arrange to have it repaired. But your policy carries a $500. deductible.

"Lovely," said I. "Let's get moving then. I need to use my bath tub and I need to use my kitchen."

At 10:30 on Tuesday morning, a plumber arrived to repair the leak in the bathtub. The plastic connections on the Jacuzzi pipes had come loose. They were leaking a lot! But there was also a problem with a bad seal at the overflow end of the tub. THAT was covered by insurance, so thankfully, I won't have to pay the plumber. He was here an hour and a half, and his bill was $163.18!!

While the plumber toiled upstairs, a renovator examined the damage to the ceiling below and recommended removal and replacement of the wet plaster. He made a report and gave it to the insurance adjuster who turned up just as the plumber was finishing.

Later in the afternoon, two men arrived with great plastic tarpaulins and implements of destruction. They covered the walls and floor with plastic and then tore down my ceiling. They left behind an industrial-sized dehumidifier to dry things out.

I was told I'll get a new ceiling and new shelves in the cupboards. The walls and ceiling will be repainted. Perhaps they'll replace a few pieces of hardwood on the floor as well.

It'll take a week, I suppose, of living in a constant state of dust and disorder. But when it's finished, Ms J, it'll be as good as new!

4 Comments:

Blogger Jennytc said...

You have a jacuzzi??I'm impressed. Over here in the sticks, only very posh or well off people have them! lol

10 November 2004 at 03:34  
Blogger Larry said...

Dale is FANCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lolololol

10 November 2004 at 05:35  
Blogger Terri said...

Well Dale, when it rains it pours. Indoors or out.

Your young son is very much like one of my kids. I thought I wouldn't survive to tell you the truth. Really. I'm not kidding. I just didn't think I would survive it. But, as I've said before, I did. In some ways there is no right or wrong answer. You can justify anything. You are going to have to follow your gut. We don't know your son as you do. I think in your heart you know what you want or need to do but it's not easy. I feel your pain, I really do. It's so scary being a parent and especially a parent of a psychologically vulnerable child. I say, go with the love. (I know you will) whatever decision you make with your heart will be the right one. I don't envy your position. Like I said, I feel your pain. I was there not too many years ago. I can only say I would not condone what I didn't not think was right. But I always made the decisions with love, understanding, sympathy and empathy. I never made them in anger and tried not to make them in fear (or at least did my best to hide the fear). You have my support. My love and I will stand with you for what that's worth. These are the best of times and the worst of times....Were you trying to have a hot tub party in that jacuzzi?

When we built this house we put the jacuzzi size tub in without the plumbing and I haven't regretted it. Of course we have no jets but it's a lot quietier and we've had no plumbing problems that have plagued our neighbors. Good luck my friend with both the plumbing and the son. You're in my thoughts and heart today.

10 November 2004 at 11:52  
Blogger gemmak said...

I'm with Jenny, only posh people over here have a jacuzzi! lol.......oh and I think she would back me up when I say here you would be lucky to get the work looked at by the insurance company withing 3 months let alone the work n all finished inside 2 weeks!

10 November 2004 at 17:05  

Post a Comment

<< Home