A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Saturday, November 06, 2004

Oh, WTG, Dale!

What goes round, comes round. I missed an entrance cue last night and left poor "Barbara" on stage, ad-libbing and wondering when I might show up, if at all. It's a dreadful feeling.

I was backstage, fussing with a towel I have to wear (Stanley, supposedly, has just gotten out of the bath) and I was whispering to Marilyn, the stage left ASM. (Assistant Stage Manager.) When I return to the stage, I'm wearing only a bath towel and black socks.

"How does this look, Marilyn? Should I tuck it in or just leave it like that?" (The towel, Ms. J. Not my ...)

I was only vaguely aware of Kim (Barbara) on stage calling out her lines.

"Mr. Smith? Mr. Smith?"

Suddenly, I heard her ask - well, plead actually - "Is there ANYONE here at all?"

I looked quizically at Marilyn. That's strange, I thought. That line is not in the script. Then it hit me. She was calling for Stanley. ME!!!

I rushed out onto the stage and then immediately forgot my lines. I was so flustered! I used my confusion to my advantage and just acted as though Stanley was nervous and confused. Indeed, that was quite appropriate for Stanley. I got started again, thankfully, and the play proceeded without further incident. I'm not sure if the audience was aware of my gaffe, but I felt like a fool. Jenn, God bless her, did not tease me about it. Well, not much anyway.

I think we put on a fabulous show last night, despite my momentary lapse in concentration. My friends Christine and Leigh Ann were there in the audience. They said they thoroughly enjoyed themselves. As I say, we were FABULOUS!!!

Right now, I must wash and get ready to drive to Caledon for our third show. I'd really like to shower or have a bath, Ms J, but I don't want another flood. That issue will have to wait til Monday.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home