A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Sunday, September 12, 2004

Dale's Advice for the Lovelorn

I was alone here on Saturday. Slept late. 8:00 am. Spent the day doing housework. It was very difficult to get motivated in that direction, but after I got started, I didn't want to stop. The place looks fabulous again. I'm afraid I really let things go when Dan was here. I'm not sure why, exactly. It just seemed too difficult to dust and vacuum around him. Remember, I'm used to cleaning an empty house. A cop-out, Ms. J? Probably, but it's all I can tell you.

Christine phoned me on Saturday afternoon. Christine is my friend. Christine is completely adorable. I wish she and I ...

Christine is my friend. I invited her round for supper.

She's feeling a bit blue because she's lonely. I'm lonely too. We're all lonely sometimes, aren't we, Ms J? She hasn't yet found Mr. Right. And she longs to have children. I offered her my son, but wisely she declined.

We had just finished our meal, (boiled potatoes and barbecued chicken - Christine brought a lovely tomato salad.) when Leigh Ann popped over. Leigh Ann is another friend. We served Leigh Ann as well, then the three of us sat and chatted over tea.

We talked about rebellious teens and we talked about men and women and relationships. Leigh Ann has yet to find her soulmate, and she too, wants to start a family. Both women are in their mid 30's. They're both educated, intelligent, attractive, funny. And they both expend masses of mental energy thinking about finding a man and having babies. For both women, the sound of their own biological clocks is deafening.

I think I'm a pretty compassionate guy. I do care for my friends and of course I want them to be happy. But it just seems to me that they've both decided that if they don't have children, they cannot fulfill their Life's destiny. Their need to bear children seems almost beyond their control. The idea of living out their Lives without personally experiencing childbirth is something my friends refuse to even consider. I suppose for some women, the need to reproduce is so deeply embedded in ancient DNA, that they're literally not able to consider Life without children.

When the days shorten and the west wind arrives crisp and fresh, a harbinger of colder weather, the geese gather in ponds and fields and prepare to set out on their annual migration southward to warmer climes. They don't know why they're doing it. I don't suppose there's much discussion among them. They simply lift themselves into the air and fly. Nature has pre-programmed them to do so. They have no choice.

Could it be that some women have no choice, and for the same reason?

I listened to Christine and Leigh Ann last night. I took part in the discussion. I've suggested to them before that perhaps Life without children could actually be possible. But they are not open to that possibility.

I have children. I've been married twice. I've had a married Life with children and later, a married Life without. I've had it all, haven't I? My friends have had none of it. So my advice doesn't carry much weight.

Experience has shown me that I am often held prisoner by my desires and aversions. They hold me back from personal and spiritual growth. They limit me. Hobble me. I'm aware of this, but still I often pursue my desires and flee my aversions. I'm no better than anyone else. I don't yet have Life figured out.

On the wall by my stairs hangs a framed statement:

There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about.






6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something that I have learned:
If you are not whole and complete by yourself, another human being can not complete you.
If you are not happy, another human being can not make you happy. The only thing you will be able to share is your misery. If you do not learn to love yourself, you can not love anyone else.
-Frankie A.K.A. Anymous

12 September 2004 at 10:24  
Blogger magz said...

i was.... just gonna say awwwwwwwwwwwwe-some. but dang, I coulda written the above comment! Beautiful job Dale.. and I'm busy hustling happy wimmen for ya right now in the network. watch yer mailbox. and nice comment anon-o-frankie! stop by anytime!

12 September 2004 at 15:13  
Blogger Terri said...

I don't know Dale. I have several friends, women, in their late 30's early to mid-40's that have all had children on their own. They bought some sperm or if needed an egg or whatever. One had twins, another just had her second. I'm a proponent of two parents but shoot, I was married when I had kids and ended up raising them myself so that's no guarantee. Sometimes, some women (not saying these two of course) want a man to bring them the house, the kids the status. I say, you want it, go out and get it. My current husband didn't have a cent. I bought "our" house with my money. I'm the primary income here. He brings a lot more to the table - not material or financial - but...are they sure it's children they want or is it a package that includes a man, picket fence and babies?

12 September 2004 at 21:43  
Blogger SidDawgone said...

And some women (one woman?) are/is quite content without children!

16 September 2004 at 10:15  
Blogger shadowbox said...

I keep re-reading that second-last para ("Experience has shown me...") and the truth is right there for me to see...and I don't dispute it. And yet, like you, I choose to be hobbled, to...give in. Somehow it seems to make better sense than the alternative. I'm not sure if I've chosen the easy route or the hard route to happiness. I sure as hell hope that it's the hard route, because if this is the easy route is sure hurts like hell.

7 October 2004 at 19:01  
Blogger shadowbox said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7 October 2004 at 19:01  

Post a Comment

<< Home