A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Sacrifices in the Name of Friendship

I was sitting here at the computer last night, sipping tea and trying to piece together a jigsaw puzzle of thoughts about World Day of Prayer, when the phone rang.

"Hello?"

The voice I heard was soft and warm with a delightful Irish accent. It was Jacqueline.

"Hi Dale," she said. "I was wondering if you'd be interested in having dinner together tomorrow night and then attending a jazz concert in Toronto. I realise it's short notice."

She was smiling, Ms J. I could hear it. I hated to dash her hopes. I hated to turn down her invitation, I really did, but I had already made other plans for the weekend. I furrowed my brow and spoke.

"I am so sorry, Jacqueline," I said, "but I've made plans to go out of town this weekend with friends. We're driving up to the casino at Orillia on Saturday and then on Sunday morning, we're off to Campbellford to see the sights and maybe buy some fresh cheese."

If she was disappointed, she hid it well.

"Oh that's alright, Dale," she said. "I know it's short notice. I hope you don't mind me callin' you like this."

Mind? Did I mind her calling me? Good golly lolly day, Ms J! That was the first time we'd ever spoken on the phone. Until now, we'd only left voice mail for each other.

"No, I don't mind at all. I hope you'll feel free to call me again. Anytime, Jacqueline. I'm disappointed I can't see that concert with you, but I've promised Kirk and Rey I'd join them this weekend."

"No worries, Dale. Let's say we'll call each other whenever something like this comes up though, shall we? Even if it is short notice. I do enjoy your company."

Christine phoned later and asked about my plans for the weekend. I told her about the conversation with Jacqueline.

"Do you think I did the right thing, Steenie? Do you think I should have canceled my plans with Kirk in favour of a date with Jacqueline? Maybe she'll think I'm not interested in her."

Christine disagreed.

"No she won't. She knows you like her. You told her she could call you anytime and you said you were disappointed you couldn't join her at the jazz concert. What you have shown her is that you value your friendships, and honour your promises. I think you did the absolute right thing."

You see, Ms Journal? See how good it is that I have so many women friends? They're all so special to me. They help me relate to women, a lesson I'm learning rather late in Life. Thanks, Christine! And thank YOU, Jenn, for introducing me to Jacqueline. I wonder where this relationship will lead?

There will be no date for me tonight, Kirk. And I'm forgoing church tomorrow. You know how I enjoy church. But I'm looking forward to spending the weekend with you and Rey. You two are important to me. And we always have fun together, don't we? I'd better get busy and pack a bag.

See you Sunday night, Ms J!

***

3 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

So, what you're saying is that you have gambelled that everything will be okay with J? ;)

4 March 2006 at 12:13  
Blogger Michelle said...

Good decision, don't want to act too keen, although, then again she is Irish....;)

4 March 2006 at 19:50  
Blogger PBS said...

Umm, aren't you dating that other woman too? Busy man! But hope next time works out to see Jacqueline.

5 March 2006 at 09:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home