A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Saturday, March 11, 2006

A Day For the Theatre

I saw four plays tonight, Ms J. And I attended a play reading this afternoon.

An acquaintance of mine - her name is Dianne - is a playwright. She's written about five plays in as many years. Dianne is a very talented woman. I'm proud to know her. I had roles in the first two plays she did, and won best actor awards for both. Her latest play has yet to be performed, but it was read by some talented actors at a downtown theatre today as part of The New Ideas Festival. The three week festival is an annual event to showcase new plays and new actors. This year is, I think, the eighteenth year.

I went with my friend, and fellow actor, Bob. I was a bit apprehensive at first, never having attended a reading before, but it was really enjoyable! Bob and I joined Dianne and two of the actresses for lunch afterward. One of them wanted to attend the other plays this evening.

"How about you, Dale?" asked Lois when the others had declined. "Would you like to see four more plays tonight?"

I had nothing to do this evening, so I agreed. I came home and had dinner then met Lois back at the theatre at 7:30.

The plays were short, one-act pieces, running about thirty minutes each. All were very well done. Unfortunately, there was only one of the four that I really enjoyed. It was called "The Girls Do Brunch". It was about four women friends who met for brunch and shared thoughts and feelings. One was a lesbian. One was straight and married. One was straight and single. And one was transgendered and had a very deep voice and bright red lipstick. It was funny at times, but touching too. It was very real. Very downtown.

So I had a brilliant day, Ms J. I spent time with Bob, met some old friends, and enjoyed some amateur theatre.

And speaking of drama, I think I'll call Meagan tomorrow. March break begins Monday for a week.

***

1 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

Good Luck Dale. I hope that call brings you happiness.

Donna xx

12 March 2006 at 04:13  

Post a Comment

<< Home