No Strike!
A nation wide strike by 1700 CN locomotive engineers was averted late yesterday when a settlement was mediated between CN management and the Teamsters Canada Rail Conference. I have no idea what caused the impasse, or what surprises our new contract contains. I'm just relieved that there was no strike.

"GO" Trains carry 100,000 commuters daily.
Here in Toronto, nearly 100,000 commuters arrived on time at work this morning. The men who operate the commuter trains did not lose any pay. And nationally, the country continued to move its bulk commodities - grain, forest products, mining resources, etc. to global markets via eastern and western seaports. The Canadian auto industry here in Ontario breathed a collective sigh of relief in cities like Oakville, Oshawa and Windsor.

Freight trains move our economy.

There's been no rail strike. Canada remains open for business. All is well.
***

1 Comments:
I'm sure that relief abounds in many, many quarters -- and perhaps in a few nickels as well. Sorry, couldn't resist.
Post a Comment
<< Home