A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Friday, May 13, 2005

Women cause me pain, lately

Physio really HURT this morning, Ms J. I’ve gained a lot of movement in my ankle and that’s good. I’m pleased. Although I still can’t raise my foot very much on my own, I can see an improvement in the radius of motion both vertical and horizontal. My big toe is very stiff. It’s painful to move it at all. Barbara bent it and twisted it and pulled it until I nearly went wild with pain. I saw no improvement after she’d finished. Just a very painful toe.

Later, Barbara rubbed the scar on my leg. Breaking up the scar tissue, she says, will speed recovery.

“When do you think I’ll be able to go back to work?” I asked her.

She ran her finger along the outside of my lower leg and pressed hard where the fracture was.

“It feels really good now, Dale,” she said. “I can’t feel the separation on the bone anymore. I’m not a doctor, but as far as I’m concerned you can return to work as soon as you get rid of the cast.”

My wish is to return to work next month. Early next month. I have two weeks of vacation time scheduled to begin June 13th. My disability benefits expire on May 28th and I’ll have to wait a fortnight before receiving any money from the government via Unemployment Insurance.

If I can be sure that I won’t re-injure my leg by walking without the cast, I’ll happily return to the early morning slog of GO Transit service. But 4:15 is still an ungodly hour to wake for work.

Meagan called this afternoon. She says her mum will deliver her here on Saturday afternoon. She may stay overnight, but she’s not sure. At any rate, I’m about to see my daughter for the first time since February 5th. That’s more than three months. I’ll bet she’s changed. I know she’s changed.

I feel nervous about seeing her. How can it be that our relationship has changed so much in such a short time? Gone forever I suppose, are the days of holding hands and laughing and splashing together in rain puddles. I love my daughter. I miss my daughter. And I somehow feel she's become a stranger to me.

***

4 Comments:

Blogger Jan myrz said...

The transition from cuddling young one to all grown up woman now friend is a hard one to make. But it will happen over time. Then too, being laid up with an injury is wearing on both of you. Try to stay understanding and loving till it changes.

There are times when I want to strangle my girls and other times I wonder who they are; still other times we couldn't be closer and better friends if we tried.

Get involved in making a life for yourself; that's what your daughter is doing, and that's just what we raise them to do. It hurts, but in the long run anything good for us always does hurt in some way. The best things are always the toughest to obtain; they take more work than we have been accustomed to giving. Hang in there my friend.

I hope this helps in some small way.

13 May 2005 at 20:49  
Blogger Dora said...

Keep it centered on *her* and keep coming back to her.
It will not all happen at once or within the first few visits but you have to start somewhere and you are about to take that first step.
Anything beyond a simple, "I've missed you and its good to be spending a little time with you again" will fall on deaf ears and perhaps be too overwhelming.
Keep Dan out of the conversation unless she has her *own* emotions that she wants to express. Keep it on her.
Slow and easy and non threatening will build that bridge.

13 May 2005 at 22:59  
Blogger Terri said...

Hi Dale! I don't know how long it will take me to catch up but for now just a "hello" and I've missed you. I have my troubled nephew on the edge of joining the Navy. Pray for us!! LOL. He's 23 and when I let go he became destitute. It was hard but he finally realized that the only thing that would solve all his problems (lack of dental care, no health insurance, unemployment, lack of job skills, lack of any skills, lack of anything - including MONEY) Okay, now to try to catch up. I've missed you very much my friend....

14 May 2005 at 01:06  
Blogger gemmak said...

I'm sure there will be 'splashing in puddles' again. All relationships go through difficult times. Many a time I would have rather thrown a bucket of water over my father and he me but along the way there has been lots of puddle splashing. Hang in there my friend, take it at her pace for now and things will gradually work out. :o)

14 May 2005 at 17:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home