A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Monday, January 21, 2008

The Weekend

Hello Ms J. I'm back. Have you missed me? Lovely.

Well Colleen has been experiencing a touch of separation anxiety lately. I've been dividing my time between work and Meagan, and Colleen has been very busy with school. She attends teachers' college full time. It's a demanding schedule. We've both been feeling lonely and cut off from each other.

"I want to see you," she said in a telephone conversation on Thursday last. "I miss you, Dale. Please try to make some time for us this weekend."

You know, Ms J, it's really hard sometimes to be specific about our desires. It's hard to know what we want and even harder to ask for it. Colleen was quite clear about her needs and I laud her ability and willingness to state it. I called Girl Alex and asked if she'd babysit Ivy.

"Of course I will," she said and I could hear her smiling on the phone. "I'm happy to help you guys spend some time together."

I could have kissed her, but instead offered her fifty bucks. I believe she was happy with my choice.

Colleen and I went out to dinner and a movie on Saturday night. We saw "P.S. I Love You". It was enjoyable enough, I suppose, but a chick flick, fairly dripping with estrogen. Meagan was in G-town for the weekend to see her beloved RJ and so I spent the night at Colleen's house. On Sunday we went to church.

After church, we drove to Mt. Forest to visit my parents. It was dear ol' Dad's birthday on Sunday. He's 86. Ivy wasn't feeling well, so she stayed home with her Nana. The weather was inclement and the drive was a bit stressful. Strong west winds and snow flurries reduced visibility to near zero at times, but we arrived safe and sound. Mum suggested we have an early dinner.

"The weather's not getting any better," she warned as she drizzled last summer's raspberries over a slice of Angel food cake for dessert. "You guys might want to consider staying here tonight and heading out in the morning."

And so we did. Meagan was happy to spend another night with RJ (no, Ms J, I'm not comfortable with that, but that's how it was) while I spent another night curled up beside Colleen. Mum got up with us at 6:30 this morning and cooked us breakfast, bless her heart. We collected a bleary-eyed Meagan on the way through Georgetown and arrived back in Mimico around 10:00.

Colleen's off to school. Ivy's with her grandma. Meagan's sleeping. And I'm hoping to go to work sometime before midnight tonight. In a few minutes, I'm going to wake the girl and take her to register at our local high school. Exams are finished next week, and school will begin again for the second semester.

Big changes ahead, Scout.
Again.
I reckon there's no other way but to jump right in.

***

1 Comments:

Blogger Remi said...

Well, if there is any positive to all the upheaval, it's that you certainly aren't in danger of being bored anytime soon.

21 January 2008 at 16:15  

Post a Comment

<< Home