A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Amphibians and Other Relatives

The past weekend was spent with family. My family. Mum and Dad and all five siblings. And their husbands and wives and kids. In-laws and friends. Family, Ms J. That's what it's all about, isn't it? Sadly though, neither Dan nor Meagan wanted to go. I guess they're getting too cool for family stuff. That's how it is right now. I was the same at their age.

We all convened on fifty beautiful acres near the little town of Flesherton, Ontario less than a hundred miles northwest of Mimico. My sister June and her two youngsters joined me for the drive. And we stopped along the way to get out and see the world up close.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This is Jersey. She's only a few months old, Ms J, and she belongs to my niece, Sherri. She's an English Bulldog, I think. Well mannered. And terribly cute.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sister Jill and her son Jason picked yellow beans for supper.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Mum picked some first, but quickly fled the garden when she discovered a snake. Brother Pat and I captured it and showed it to the kids who were thrilled to see a snake up close. Dad is terrified of snakes, Ms J. We didn't bother him with it and later released it unharmed into the tall grass.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

There were so many of us that we ended up in small groups. Mum visited with young Ryan for a while.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Donna and Nancy nibbled on snacks and watched from the sidelines.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I burned two dozen hamburgers and we ate them after Helen said grace.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Yes, that's a tattoo on my arm. Admit it, Ms J. You've always wondered what it was. I got it to celebrate my divorce from Kelly. And to demonstrate my patriotism.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

We ate in groups. Some ate at the table.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Some ate in the cabin.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

After dinner, I relaxed.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And the kids caught frogs near the pond.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Dozens of frogs. Large ones. Small ones. Green and brown. I've never seen so many frogs in one place before!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And they relocated the poor creatures to a shallow swimming pool.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The kids were content. The frogs, however, quietly plotted to escape the cold, clear water and return to their slimy home.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This one, I believe, was the leader. We found him rescuing a young adolescent, preventing a nasty fall.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sunday morning brought intermittent, light showers. The tents got wet. That's the thing about camping, Ms J. It's often in tents.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

After breakfast, I went with Helen and Bob to church. A Baptist church. Those Baptists are big on singing, praying and saying amen. It was a much different worship style than I'm used to, but it was worship, Ms J, and I enjoyed it nonetheless. Can I have an amen?

The sun had reappeared and was rolling off toward the western horizon when we packed our belongings and headed home.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It was a good weekend, Ms J. A great weekend, actually. Our family has grown so much over the years, that it's become quite a chore to gather everyone together in one place. When it happens (usually once or twice a year) it's a joyous event, with very little of the squabbling so common among families today. Everyone gets along and for the most part, we play well together.

Bob is Helen's boyfriend. He made his "Bed and Breakfast" home available to us and we're all grateful to him.

Wouldn't it be fabulous if he offered it again at Christmas time?

***

1 Comments:

Blogger PBS said...

Super-cool photos! And nice tattoo! It sounds like you had a fun time with family.

13 August 2007 at 23:17  

Post a Comment

<< Home