A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Saturday, December 30, 2006

A Change of Heart

I had high hopes for a romantic reunion with Kathy last night. But it didn’t quite turn out that way. She was a different woman this time. Three years ago, we were lovers. She was married and cheating on her husband. They’re separated now, but Life's trials have changed her. She sat alone on the couch here, with her legs curled under her and her arms folded tightly across her chest. She’s had some health problems. A cancer scare. Her mother is dying. Her brother is a drug addict. A lot has changed since we were together last.

Maybe the best I can hope for now is a friendship with this woman. She needs a friend right now more than a lover. I loved her back then, Ms J. I knew she was using me to fill the void in her marriage, but I didn’t care. It felt good to be with her.

Kathy stayed for a couple of hours. We chatted and she left at 9:00. I blew out the candles I’d lit, and went to bed.

When I wondered a few days ago where this might lead, "nowhere" is a possibility I hadn't considered.

***

6 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Consider it a first date. You never know, eh?

30 December 2006 at 09:27  
Blogger thailandchani said...

It will lead where it is meant to lead. Relationships come, as they say, for a reason or a season. If you are able to have a friendship with this woman, it will be a gift to both of you. "Nowhere" might just be somewhere ~ although perhaps not what you'd intended. :)


Peace,

~Chani

30 December 2006 at 13:14  
Blogger Michelle said...

Also remember, if she was cheating with you when she was with her first husband.............

30 December 2006 at 19:29  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

She has a lot on her plate right now and really needs a good friend. Once these crises have passed, your feelings for each other may resurface. If not, you will still have a good friend. :-)

30 December 2006 at 22:56  
Blogger Jennytc said...

Hope something good comes out of it for both of you, Dale. Happy New Year.

1 January 2007 at 11:57  
Blogger PBS said...

A friendship is also a valuable thing, plus--you never know how things may turn out! Happy New Year to you and your loved ones!

1 January 2007 at 16:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home