Downtown
"Thanks for a wonderful day, Dad."
Those were Dan's words as I went up the stairs to bed last night. It had been a good day, relatively stress-free. Maxine experienced the subway for the first time, and The Eaton Centre, Toronto's largest and poshest downtown shopping mall. She was impressed with it all, I think. We got some clothes for the baby and some new toys. Maxine got a bra. David spent the day in his stroller, alternately smiling and sleeping. What a good boy! Maxine was happy. Dan was proud. I was proud too, Ms J.

At the entrance to the subway system. It takes about 30 minutes to get downtown.
On the subway, and again in the restaurant where we had lunch, strangers noticed David, smiled at him and acknowledged his adorability. Hmmm. That may not actually be a word, but as I said, this is my blog. I can say whatever I want.
Anyway, people fussed over little smiling David and I felt my heart swell.
"He's my grandson," I said.

We all enjoyed lunch together. I especially enjoyed the attention David got from lots of pretty women. He's quite the little charmer. Chip off the ol' block, I say.
We exited the subway at the intersection of Yonge and Bloor, the absolute heart of Toronto's downtown core. There were street musicians and buskers performing for tips from passers by. Dan gave a dollar to a man who stood stock still like a living manikin. When he heard the coin drop into the little pail, the man bowed grandly and then resumed his motionless pose.
"Give him another dollar," laughed Maxine and so we did and the man bowed again and returned to his pose.
"Hey Dan," I called, loudly enough for the man to hear, "Let's give him a hundred bucks and see what he does."
The man turned on his perch and offered us an amused grin. And we all laughed!
We strolled in the sunshine along Yonge St, which is the world's longest street (It's in the Guinness Book of Records, Ms J) and marveled at the sights. So much to see! So much movement, and excitement. Traffic and crowds. All manner of retail stores. Everything from cramped looking Christian book stores to opulent bars advertising "Live Fully Nude Women" and "Private Rooms".

Yonge St. provides a sort of sensory overload. Much, much busier than the tiny hamlet where Dan and Maxine live.

It was all new and foreign to Maxine and she stuck close to Dan.
It was a long walk southward to the Eaton Centre. We were glad when we reached our destination. We did some exploring in the mall first.

Ubiquitous escalators proved challenging for Maxine. The Boy and I were frustrated but we bore it well. On a number of occasions, Dan had to return to retrieve a stranded Maxine.
When we came to Sears, (Yeah, Ms J. I know) I remembered the gift voucher I'd gotten back in August when I'd complained about Sears' shoddy service. One hundred dollars. So that's where we shopped.

It takes a LONG time to get fitted for a bra, apparently. Dan and I were bored and while we waited for Maxine, I took a trip down mammary lane.
We walked around that big mall until we were tired out. David slept most of the time, lucky little sod, and soon it was time to come home. We rode the subway back to Royal York where we'd left the car and in less than ten minutes, we were home again.

David seemed to enjoy his new play centre, but he only spent two minutes on it before he puked all over it.

He was a tired little man and after he'd had a bite of supper, ...

... he had a bath in Grandad's big tub. That boy sure likes to splash!
I do enjoy my grandson, Ms J, but gosh it was good when he finally went to bed. I sent the kids to the store to rent a video.
"We'll be back soon, Dad," said Dan. "If David wakes up, just rub his tummy. He'll go right back to sleep. See you in a while."
They hadn't been gone sixty seconds before David began wailing. When they returned, they found us both asleep in the rocking chair.
The turkey's in the oven and David wants to go for a walk. Happy Thanksgiving, Ms J.
I'm thankful today for a drug-free son and a healthy grandson.
***


8 Comments:
That's beautiful Dale ... The care with which Dan holds Maxine's arm, the way you describe the day and most of all - that little lad's a cracker!
Awwwwww, i felt like i was right there! What super photos, baby David is growing up. Happy Thanksgiving, enjoy your day and save me some Turkey boob :o)
What a great day to be spent with your family! It looks like everyone had a lot of fun.
Happy Thanksgiving!
How grand to be with family this weekend.
What a great day, Dale and your little grandson is, as you say adorable - a real chip off the old block! :)
Sounds like a wonderful day with some great people. A "drug free son" is definitely something to be thankful for!
Sounds like good things to be thankful for! :-)
Oh, what a darling little grandson you have!
So much to be thankful for!
Judy - www.judyh58.blogspot.com
Post a Comment
<< Home