A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Delighted!

The lads were here today. Angry Bob, Wally, Joe, Jeff, and Bruno.

We drilled six holes, poured concrete, set the saddles for the posts, and fixed the ledger board to the house. I'm thrilled with the work that was done!


Jeff (L) and Joe (R) used the auger I rented. Six holes were drilled to a depth of 40 inches. They were done in half an hour!

I have some skilled and strong friends, Ms J. I mentioned to Bob at work that I had reserved an auger and asked if he might go with me to fetch it this morning.

"Whatcha doin', Dale?" asked Jeff.

I told him I was preparing to build a deck.

"I'll help you, you old prick," he said. "You'll only hurt yourself."

"Can I help?" asked Bruno who was standing nearby having a smoke.

Joe offered his assistance as well.

"But I think you should buy us all breakfast first, eh guys?"

So the six of us went to The Canadiana for breakfast. They made me pay, Ms Journal.

"It's the least you can do, Dale," said Wally.

"Yeah," Joe added. "We can always count on you to do the least."

We laughed and ate and told stories, Ms J, the way men do, with lots of cursing and bawdy talk. Then Jeff and I went to get the auger while the others assembled my new wheelbarrow.


How many railroaders does it take to assemble a wheelbarrow? At least four, apparently.

Men are strange sometimes. I asked for some help and I got help. Lots of help. I'm not ungrateful, Ms J, but I wasn't really allowed to do much. I wanted to participate, but the fellows just sort of took over. It's true the others were more experienced and physically stronger than I, but I wanted to take part in the project too.


Bruno broke up some old bricks and rocks to put in the holes. "You'll use less cement that way."

Jeff and Joe mixed the cement in the wheelbarrow and poured it in the holes. Bob and Wally shoveled dirt around. It was hard, heavy work, Ms J, and they did it much faster than I could have done it, and they seemed to enjoy the hard work. Testosterone fairly flowed down the driveway to the street.


Jeff dumped the wheelbarrow while Joe directed the flow of wet cement. That's the same Joe who is our union rep and who accompanied me to my investigation. Angry Bob was elected foreman.

The language was pretty colourful, I must say. It reached a crescendo when I pulled a sixteen foot plank across Jeff's shins.

"What the f%## are ya doin', ya f%##in' homo?"

That's just Jeff, Ms J. He always talks like that. I apologised to him and then went next door to suggest to my neighbour, Cathy, that she might want to close her doors and windows until the lads were done. She laughed it off, but soon closed her windows. Later, Wally sprayed Angry Bob's bare back with cold water and I heard Cathy closing her doors.

"C'mon, guys," I begged. "Let me do something. It is my deck, after all."

Bob handed me his drill.

"Be careful," he warned me. "The f%##er's heavy. You'll have to push like yer havin' a baby if ya wanna go through that f%##in' brick."

Jeff said I wouldn't likely know how to push like I was having a baby and offered what he considered a better simile.

"Push like yer havin' a great big s**t," he said. "But don't do it fer crise-sake. We all gotta walk around here, eh?"


They did let me drill some holes in the wall to mount the ledger board. Bob and Joe watched me closely while Jeff used my c*%#-s*&#in' camera to take the f%##in' picture.

Anyway, they were here about three hours and I am really pleased with the work that was done. We've got a really good start now and the most difficult part is done. I thanked each one separately and offered to make them lunch. They all declined saying they wanted to go and shower and change their clothes before returning to work.


Jeff and Bruno and Joe and Angry Bob, after the work was done. Bob stayed pretty calm throughout. We were all thankful. I know Cathy was.


"Push like yer havin' a baby," he said.

I don't know who'll come back tomorrow, Ms J. I'll be happy if only one of them returns. At this rate, I'll have a deck in no time!

***

6 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

Fantastic Dale ... I can feel the testosterone seeping out through the 'net!

6 July 2006 at 04:40  
Blogger Michelle said...

LOL, omg that is so funny. But how kind hearted they are, what good buddies :o)

6 July 2006 at 06:12  
Blogger Unknown said...

Tell them I'll buy breakfast, I need a fence rebuilding round my rasperries down the lottie.

6 July 2006 at 07:55  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

Yikes! You coulda warned me! So many bare bellies this early in the morning is almost more than I can take!

Glad you've got friends to lighten the load. :-)

6 July 2006 at 09:29  
Blogger Dora said...

How entertaining....LMAO.
A bunch of half naked, aged men trying to build something and showing off their limited vocabulary.
Seriously - if you had to do more work, you may not have been able to take such great storytelling pictures. :)
Just be glad you aren't totally like that Dale.

9 July 2006 at 08:41  
Blogger magz said...

tossing a wolf whistle specially towards Bruno..humma humma (Ladyspeak for hubba hubba yanno)

and seriously missing my nosebuds yet again, for i LOVE the smell of testosterone of an afternoon!

Good job Dale! Send the crew my way, i pay food AND beer, lol

9 July 2006 at 11:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home