A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Friday, June 09, 2006

Opening Night

We did it, Ms J. We actually performed our little play for an audience. There were a few people who showed up last night for the dress rehearsal and although they offered compliments on a job well done, I know we were not very good. Dianne and Suzanne and Laura, actor friends from Caledon were among the audience. I really wished we had done a better job.

Tonight though, we were much better. Loretta remembered her lines (most of them) with the help of a script hidden inside a Bible. There were a few glitches, some missed dialogue (some of it mine) and a couple of late sound cues, but overall I think we did a pretty good job.

And speaking of pretty, Ms J, there were two pretty girls in the audience tonight: Carolyn from church, who was there with a friend, and the lovely and talented Girl Alex about whom I've written before. Also in attendance were two couples from church: the Seeley's and the Grenville's. All offered words of praise and encouragement. They're my friends so of course they were supportive. The audience was small (perhaps 18 or 20) but appreciative. I could sense the energy we received from the bits of laughter and applause. Its effect was obvious and most welcome.

After we took our curtain call and the curtains closed again, I stretched my arms and took everyone in a big group hug. The smiles were bright and contagious, the pride, evident.

The most important thing to come out of tonight's performance is the assurance that we can indeed do this play. We all gained some confidence, I think, in the realization that if we stay focused and really listen to what's happening, we can perform this play from beginning to end and without stopping to ask for help.

And at this point in the process, Ms J, that's the best we could possibly ask for.

***

9 Comments:

Blogger oshee said...

Congratulations on the accomplishing a good opening night. I hope it continues to go as well.

10 June 2006 at 01:10  
Blogger Michelle said...

Congratulations!! So glad they appreciated the performance :o)

10 June 2006 at 01:36  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you Dale! And you fellow cast members. Please pass on my congratulations to them all.

10 June 2006 at 03:16  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo!!!

10 June 2006 at 04:33  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I'm glad that it's working out for you after the long ordeal.

10 June 2006 at 09:22  
Blogger Cuppa said...

Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap clap,clap, clap clap....(that's the sound of my standing ovation)

10 June 2006 at 09:28  
Blogger Linda said...

I knew you could pull it off! Way to go!

10 June 2006 at 18:58  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

Congrats Dale! Glad to hear you have friends who support you too! ;-)

10 June 2006 at 22:56  
Blogger Jennytc said...

Well done to you all, Dale. hope the rest of the run goes well too.

11 June 2006 at 09:54  

Post a Comment

<< Home