A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Sunday, June 04, 2006

A New Attitude

As you know, Ms J, I've been worrying about this play. A lot. At first, I was worried because I didn't believe in the script we had written. Now I've come to believe that we've written a really good story, but I'm afraid we'll spoil it in the presentation. I must tell you, there will be a dearth of experience on stage Thursday night and it will no doubt be obvious to the audience. There are six of us in the cast and only two have ever done a play before. None of us is completely familiar with our lines. One actor hasn't a clue ... Another is in dire need of a bath.

Mercifully, the opening night audience will be small. So far, the only ones who've reserved tickets are my friend Christine and her mum. Steenie has always supported me. She's my friend. I know she'll still love me if I look like an idiot on stage. And she can easily afford the $15 admission price. I just find it so disheartening that we've spent so much time and worked so hard only to falter or fail in our final effort. The Truth is, we spent way too much time in the writing of it, and we've had little time to rehearse.

Everyone is tense. Everyone is worried. We rehearsed for eight hours yesterday and rather than building our confidence, I think it only showed us how unprepared we are. Heather took me aside and spoke with me.

"I know you feel stressed, Dale," she said. "And I know why. I understand. But please try hard not to appear despondent to the others. They look to you for help and guidance. They look up to you as the 'experienced' one. If you appear to have given up hope, how must they feel?"

Heather's right, Ms J. And I'm sorry. Starting today, I promise to put on a brave face. I'll work with the others (especially the weakest ones) and offer lots of encouragement. I'll tell them we're fabulous and assure them all will be well on opening night. That's what we need, isn't it? Confidence.

At home last night, I visited Dictionary.com and looked up the meaning of the word "play". I was surprised to find some forty definitions and topping the long list was this item:

1. To occupy oneself in amusement

Of course! It's a play we're doing. It's playtime! Yes, we'll stumble. Yes, we'll falter and sputter. But the most important thing is the fun factor. If it's not fun, Ms Journal, then why on earth have I spent half of this year doing it? It won't be perfect, I know. But if we have fun on stage, come what may, the people in the audience will enjoy it too. Both of them.

***

5 Comments:

Blogger Cuppa said...

That's the spirit Dale. You've got it! Just go with it and have FUN! Flubbed lines might be the funniest and best. The audience will have a great time if you do.

So, go out there and break a le... oops, no, don't do that. Go out there and have a blast! It'll be great.

4 June 2006 at 10:10  
Blogger Michelle said...

Have a blast!

4 June 2006 at 23:23  
Blogger Jennytc said...

'in dire need of a bath'? Oh dear. Hope he hasn't got any close up and kissing scenes then! It will be great, you'll be great! Trust me, I'm a teacher! :)

5 June 2006 at 06:35  
Blogger PBS said...

That's a great attitude! Have a fun time doing the play (no matter what happens) and the audience will enjoy it, too.

5 June 2006 at 08:39  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I had a crack at singing in my local show a couple of months ago to boost my public speaking skills, it was quite terrifying, but I'm glad I did it. I know you will have a lot of support. Look at the fans you have here.

5 June 2006 at 17:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home