A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Friday, June 02, 2006

Daddy and Daughter Go To The Zoo

Sounds like the title of a children's book, doesn't it?

Scout and I went to the zoo today. It was her birthday. She's fourteen. Fourteen!

"It feels good to be a real teenager, Dad, and not just a tween, or whatever they call it."

We've been to the zoo every birthday for about seven years or so. It's a tradition. It just feels right. We didn't go last year, though.

"Yeah, I remember Dad. "You had your broken leg and we were fighting. That kinda sucked, didn't it?"

Gosh, Ms J. If she only knew how my heart ached last summer ... But we won't revisit that painful place. We'll move forward, out of the dark and into the Light.

I picked her up at home this morning. I was running a bit late and so I tried phoning to let her know. Kelly hasn't paid her phone bill (again) and so the phone's been cut off. Again. I was only about twenty minutes late. Kelly and Tim were still in bed. Maxine had gone to visit her grandad. Dan was up, changing a dirty diaper and Meagan was ready to go with me. Dan's really being a good dad, I think. He really seems to enjoy spending time with baby David. The baby's just nine weeks old.

"Give me your camera," Meagan said. "I'll take a multi-generational shot of the three of you."


Doesn't Dan look proud, Ms J?

I really like that picture. I love my son, really I do. But I wish so much he'd find a job. I am really pleased with the way he's adjusted to being a father, though. He bathes the baby and changes smelly diapers. He even gets up for night-time feedings.

I enjoyed a nice visit with Dan and David. I got to hold the baby for a while and he even smiled at me!


He's a squirmy little guy, though. If you're not careful, he'll wriggle right out of your arms.




It was nearly noon when we arrived at the Metro Toronto Zoo. Our zoo is a world class facility set on 700 acres in the Rouge River Valley. It's home to some 5,000 animals and hosts over a million visitors each year.

We had a fantastic day, Meagan and I. We walked a bit and rode the zoo-mobile. We ate junk food and laughed at the animals, both four-legged and two-legged. We saw lions and zebras and giraffes in the African area. We laughed at the two polar bears who seemed almost human as they played and splashed in the cold water at the Americas exhibit.


A man took our photo in the Malayan pavillion.

We saw kangaroos and wallabies in the Australian pavilion, where Meagan took this photo of a very friendly Kookaburra.


He seemed so tame!

We saw aquaria full of colourful fish from the Great Barrier Reef and I thought of our sweet little Aussie, Michelle.


I think she lives around here somewhere.

The sun remained hidden behind heavy clouds all day, but not a drop of rain fell. The temperature was perfect for being outdoors and walking. It was a week day so there were no crowds and we got an excellent parking spot straight away.

"You know, Dad," said my girl as she worked to finish an ice cream sandwich, "when we first got here, I thought it was going to be a bit of a boring day. But I've had a great time. Thanks."


"And it was a lot more fun than going to school today."

Happy Birthday, Scout! I love you to the moon and back!

***

7 Comments:

Blogger Zette said...

Awww! How sweet!

3 June 2006 at 01:53  
Blogger Michelle said...

I Do! I Do!
Awww, they were great photos :)
Sounds as though you 2 had a blast!

Baby David has his grand dads same shaped face :)
So glad they're all do well.
Happy Birthday Meagan :o)

3 June 2006 at 07:06  
Blogger Matthew May said...

Great photos! and what a great day! .. and don't fret, eventually your son will get a job, life is a challenging thing to navigate through but he can't be a lazy bad person, not with a good father like you.. so he will find his way :)

3 June 2006 at 11:06  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Walking on hot coals would probably be more fun than school, eh?

3 June 2006 at 15:12  
Blogger Terri said...

That is a beautiful baby. Just absolutely beautiful. Great photos! Seems like your daughter was a baby when I started reading your blog! The time does fly by...

3 June 2006 at 18:14  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

Happy B-day Meagan! Glad you had a great day together.

3 June 2006 at 22:33  
Blogger poet said...

hopped over from michells' page. great photos. it must have been a great time for you and your daughter. i remember Dad taking me to the FREX the first two months after we moved to NB. we had a great time. skee ball and 10 stuffed animals to bring home to show Mom. he and i rode the ferris wheel and we did the bumper cars, it was great. thanks for jogging that memory for me. have a dry sunday. best wishes from the east.

4 June 2006 at 06:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home