A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Another Twist

Yes, Ms J, I'm still on about the play. It's the biggest thing in my Life at the moment. So get used to it.

We began this project back in February. Six of us met weekly, then twice weekly, to collaborate on writing a script for a play. Understandably, the story underwent numerous permutations and reincarnations before we called a halt to it and began rehearsing. That eventful day was just over a fortnight ago.

I wrote earlier of my concerns regarding the very weak cast. Heather and I are really the only ones who've done any serious acting -- Heather much more than I. One particular cast member is clearly the weakest. She's a lovely person, Ms J. Warm, gracious, kind, funny. But she has NEVER acted before. And it's obvious she's terrified of opening night. She wouldn't feel nearly as much stress about it if only she'd learn her lines. I don't know why she hasn't learned them. The rest of us have studied our scripts and are familiar with the text. The rest of us have done our homework. Frankly Ms J, I think she's a bit thick.

I know what you're thinking. What a nasty thing to say about a fellow actor! About anyone! But I'm on another of my rants, dammit, and I want to vent.

Heather is the director and also a cast member. She phoned me up this morning.

"I've got some disturbing news, Dale. I hope it won't make you crazy but I just called "Loretta" and I spoke with her son. He says his mum won't be able to attend rehearsal tonight. She has a headache and sick stomach."

I was disturbed to hear it. Opening night is tomorrow. TOMORROW!! And she's in greater need of rehearsal than any of the others. She complained of a sore leg a while ago and skipped a rehearsal. Lately, it's been her hip that's causing her to be distracted and miss her entrances and lines.

"Did you ask to speak with Loretta, Heather?" I asked.

"Yes, I did. Her son told me she'd gone to the hospital and he wasn't sure when she'd be back."

I'm sorry, Ms J, but I think this is a lie. I think the woman is nearly paralysed with fear about performing in front of an audience. She hasn't bothered to learn her lines and now she's buggered. Trouble is, she's buggering us as well.

"Do you know anyone who might fill in for her, Dale? Is there a Jamaican actress you know of who could possibly read Loretta's part?"

I shook my head and sighed loudly.

"No, Heather. I can't think of anyone."

And then I got an idea.

"I wonder if it would help if you told Loretta she could take her script on stage? Maybe she'd feel more confident if she knew she could read her lines. I really want her to be part of the production. She's been involved from day one. She's got the accent and everything. She's perfect for the part, Heather. If only she knew her lines."

Heather suggested we could put her lines in a Bible and Loretta could carry that with her on the stage. The play is set in a streetcar (trolley car) and the characters spend much of their time sitting. It would be simple for Loretta to keep her Bible open in her lap and refer to it as needed. (Her character is a devout Christian.)

So that's where things stand at the moment, Ms J. We've got a play written and rehearsed for six people, but we have only five we can rely on.

Stay tuned for further developments.

***

3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Brilliant idea sausage!!

8 June 2006 at 00:28  
Blogger Jennytc said...

Poor lady - sounds as though sh's in over her head. But I appreciate how worried you must be too, Dale. That sounds like the perfect solution. Hope it goes well.

8 June 2006 at 02:46  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Question: do actors know their lines word for word. If so, how can you possibly do it?

8 June 2006 at 10:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home