A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Monday, April 17, 2006

Easter Monday

I called work last night after I took Meagan home. I told them my vacation was over and made myself available for work Monday morning. I set the alarm clock for 4:15 a.m. and went to bed. The phone woke me at 11:30.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Dale?"

"Yeah."

"It's the crew office calling. You booked on tonight but you didn't have to. You still have one more day of holidays."

I was so dopey, Ms J. I didn't know what he was talking about.

"Who is this, now?"

"It's the crew office. CN. You don't have to go to work in the morning, Dale. You have another day of holidays."

I was awake now and I understood. I was thrilled!

"Really? Well I'll be jiggered!"

"Yeah. Sorry to call so late, but it's better than having you go in to work in the morning for nothing."

I thanked him and hung up.

So I've been off today, Ms J. Off work with nothing to do but sit and relax. It's been splendid. Oh I didn't just sit idle all day. Goodness no. I did some laundry and changed the sheets on my bed. I made some chicken soup. And I put the finishing touches on five little scenes I wrote for our play -- That annoying, frustrating, play that seems not to be taking shape too quickly, if at all. I wish now that we'd agreed to perform a published work instead of trying to write one ourselves. It would have been much easier and I'm sure we'd have a much better finished product.

People keep asking me about it.

"How's the play coming along?"

I have nothing to tell them, Ms Journal.

"Oh, not very well," I say. "We have lots of scenes, but so far, no story."




Jacqueline's pretty much history. I met her again last Friday to attend a play. She brought some friends with her and her two daughters. We couldn't even sit together. After the show, she drove off with barely a good-bye.

At home later, I found this in my inbox:

Dear Dale,
Lovely to see you again today. Being with you is so comfortable I feel like you are family. The girls were delighted to meet you too. I soooooo want to see you on stage. You are full of latent passionate energy and everyone who has seen you perform agrees that you are a fabulous character actor. It is my wish that we remain in touch. However I think it is clear to both of us that the magic/chemistry required for a lasting intimate relationship is not there for us. Can we be really grown-up about this and neither of us get grumpy even though we are both disappointed?
I hope so.

With every good wish
Your friend (if you wish me to be)
Jacqueline


Well, well, well. It appears I've been unceremoniously kicked to the curb, Ms J.

Whatever.

I've got tickets to see another play, this time in May. Jacqueline wanted to see it. I'll honour my commitment and go to the show with her, but I don't believe we'll "remain in touch". It was nice to have met her, but to be honest, I never felt much of a physical attraction to her.

There is a bright side, though. Every woman I date helps me discover more about the heart of a woman and every date teaches me a little more about myself.

***

4 Comments:

Blogger Jennytc said...

"I never felt much of an attraction to her" - that's not the impression I got from reading your former posts about her, Dale. I'm sorry things turned out like this. There'll be someone just right for you just around the corner - you'll see. :)

17 April 2006 at 18:00  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Well I'll be jiggered!

You must also have British (Isles) ancestry.

ybffvwk to you (word verification)

17 April 2006 at 18:36  
Blogger PBS said...

Hmmm I think that a person can't have too many friends, but maybe it's best not to stay in touch.

18 April 2006 at 08:23  
Blogger Michelle said...

Oh bugger ehhh sausage. Ah well, she didn't appear too available ( always busy) anyhow. I mean you want to be able to spend quality time with someone, not fight for an appointment!

18 April 2006 at 17:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home