A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

On Love

Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth.

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.

And now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; and the greatest of these is love.


You've heard that before, Ms J. Haven't you? It's a Bible passage. Paul's letter to the people of Corinth. (1 Corinthians - Chapter 13) It's a popular passage for the sacrament of marriage. Paul's words were true in the first century. They're still true in the twenty-first century.

One of my favourite books is "The Road Less Traveled." It was hugely popular in its day. The author, Scott Peck, has this to say about Love:

When I genuinely love I am extending myself, and when I am extending myself I am growing. The more I love, the longer I love, the larger I become. Genuine love is self-replenishing. The more I nurture the spiritual growth of others, the more my own spiritual growth is nurtured. I am a totally selfish human being. I never do something for somebody else but that I do it for myself. And as I grow through love, so grows my joy, ever more present, ever more constant.

In his song "Love Is Everywhere" John Denver hints that Love and Joy are inseparable:

Love is everywhere, I see it.
You are all that you can be, go on and be it.
Life is perfect, I believe it.
Come and play the game with me.


I love my children. I love my family. I love my friends. I love my Life.

Happy Valentines Day, Ms J. Happy Valentines Day, everyone.


Love. It's all we've got.

***

3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Happy Valentines Day ya big sausage!! (((((hugs)))))) xxooxx

14 February 2006 at 19:09  
Blogger Donna said...

I'm late .... Happy Valentine's Dale. It's uncanny you mention the Corinthians passage ... My sons are in Canada, close to Montreal but I can't remember the resort. They are skiing Mon-Fri this week, then on Saturday attend their Auntie's Wedding at which George (my 9 year old) will be reading the Corinthians passage! Coincidence?

15 February 2006 at 07:03  
Blogger Zette said...

I hope you had a wonderful Valentine's Day, dear Dale.

15 February 2006 at 09:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home