A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Friday, February 10, 2006

Friday Again

Where has this week gone, Ms J? January drained away quickly and I see this month swirling down behind it. Dad says Life is like a roll of toilet paper. "The nearer the end," he claims, "the faster it goes." I think he's right, although I hope I'm not too near the end.

Dana and I plan to see a play this evening. It's called "Voices" and it tells the story of five young kids who live on the mean streets of Toronto. The actors are actually homeless people! The show is produced by the same company I worked with last September, when I did that paying gig. Remember, Ms J? I'm really looking forward to seeing this play, although it's being performed in a tiny venue downtown. I think the theatre only seats about sixty or seventy people.

"Voices" will be presented in a style known as forum theatre. Forum theatre is an educational type of theatre. The play is presented once through and then the audience is invited to watch it again, and call "STOP" when they see something they might handle differently. The action is halted and the audience member is asked to come up on the stage and offer his input to the scene. The actors then improvise the scene staying in character. It's quite enlightening to watch how things unfold. Forum theatre is very effective when used to further awareness of social issues such as domestic violence, drug abuse, teenage sexuality and pregnancy, and of course, homelessness. This particular play has toured a number of high schools in Toronto.

I don't know what we'll do after the show, Ms J. I know what I hope we'll do after the show. I'd like to improvise something of my own.


The latest Harlequin Romance.

Move over Harry Potter. Here's the newest bestseller.

Well, a man can dream can't he?

***

3 Comments:

Blogger Melody said...

Let's hope she doesn't read your blog :-)

10 February 2006 at 21:21  
Blogger Michelle said...

LMAO......too funny, have a great evening/breakfast!!!

11 February 2006 at 00:08  
Blogger PBS said...

That style of "forum theater" sounds like it would be difficult for the actors--to run through the play once, and then again, while keep having to stop. Hope everything turns out well for you!

11 February 2006 at 00:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home