A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Something Positive

It's the first day of a new year. I feel I must post something positive. It is hard to be positive when you don't feel well. Yes, Ms J. My mouth is burning again tonight. It started this afternoon.

I was feeling alright after lunch today, so I decided to visit my elderly friend in hospital. Winn is her name. Winifred. I don't know how old she is. About 80 I'd guess. She's had both hips replaced but she still struggles to walk. She sings in the choir at our church.

About a week before Christmas, she was walking up the stairs at her home. Her husband, Bill, said she was on her way to bed and carrying something. Bill heard a crash and hurried to the foot of the stairs where he found his wife crumpled and unconscious.

"I called her name and she didn't answer," he told me. "I reached for her. There was a lot of blood. I was scared to move her you know, so I called 911."

Bill is legally blind and unable to drive. He is stronger on his feet though, so he and Winn are a co-dependant couple. Winifred only needs her glasses to read and she does the driving. Or she will, when she gets out of the hospital. She needed nearly 30 stitches to mend the tear in her scalp. She has a fractured collar bone and, I think a dislocated shoulder. I found her in good spirits this afternoon, despite her pain, and we enjoyed a friendly chin-wag. I left to come home around 4:00 and as I drove, I felt the familiar tingle on my tongue. I tried not to think about it, but I knew my torment was beginning anew. The match had been struck.

I stopped on the way at a convenience store. I thought some ice cream or popsicles would be just the thing to soothe my fiery gob. I held the cartons and read the ingredients.

"May contain traces of peanuts or nuts."

"Made with equipment used for processing nuts and/or peanuts."

Peanuts, Ms J! In vanilla bloody ice cream! And popsicles! Popsicles are frozen water, sugar and food colouring. And peanuts, apparently. I drove home in an angry rush.

I have pills. Yes, I do have pills. Prednisone, remember?

"Take one pill each day."

Lovely.

The doctor said, "Take a pill every morning before 9:00. Just one pill per day. This is a steroid type drug. It could cause bone deterioration among other things. Fractures, etc. Just be careful."

And he was gone.

Bone deterioration? Fractures? What the hell kind of drug is that? And what if the symptoms don't appear until dinner time? Am I to wait then, until 9:00 the next morning to take a pill? It hurts. I can't sleep. Why must I suffer at night? I need to sleep. Why must I suffer at all, damn it?

Something positive. Post something positive.

.............. Errrrr...

Come on, lad. You can do it. Start the year off right.

It's not as miserable as it was Tuesday night. My throat's not sore. I can swallow now. And I'm not producing so much saliva now. Yes, it's not as bad as it was. That's true. I'm better off than Winn, that's for sure. I'm not in hospital. And I did have a lovely Christmas. Celebrated with my kids. Hugged them both. Told them I love 'em. They love me too.

This too shall pass, Ms Journal. I've had troubles before, haven't I? I've always come through. I will this time, too. I'll be alright. I'm going to see my doctor on Wednesday. He'll have some answers. Maybe I'll be over my symptoms by then, eh?

Yeah, I'm alright I suppose. A lot better off than some, I reckon.

Cra..., I mean Happy New Year, Ms J. Yeah. Happy New Year.

(How was that, then? Positive enough, you think?)

***

8 Comments:

Blogger Matthew May said...

Happy New Year to you as well. :)

2 January 2006 at 00:40  
Blogger Donna said...

Hang in there Dale! And Happy New Year from us xxxx

2 January 2006 at 07:53  
Blogger PBS said...

Happy New Year! It'll get better soon. I'm not a medical expert or anything but have you tried an antihistimine(spelling?) Some of the cold remedies have it and they really help my weird sunflower allergy.

2 January 2006 at 10:57  
Blogger Zulu said...

Try some homemade popsicles. Make Kool-aid and poor into an ice tray. Let freeze and then suck on the flavorful cubes. I don't think powdered Kool-aid has peanuts or traces of nuts but I could be wrong. I recommend grape cause it's my favorite.

Happy New Year!

2 January 2006 at 11:37  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for visiting Winn in the hospital, Dale. She and Bill are old friends of my mother's (Marjorie Ripley, now Williamson). She sang in the choir when we lived in Mimico, and now lives in San Juan Capistrano. I'll pass along the news to her, and I feel safe speaking for her in wishing Winnie a speedy recovery!

2 January 2006 at 12:31  
Blogger Dale said...

Well I'll be jiggered! Ripples, eh Steve? No telling how far they go sometimes. California, for goodness sake! You are a Ripley guy, indeed.
I'll be sure to mention your mum to Winnie. (Believe it or not.)

2 January 2006 at 13:03  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I am wishing you health and peace Mr MMM.

2 January 2006 at 16:22  
Blogger Michelle said...

So glad to see you a wee bit more positive...you had me skeeeeered after yesterday's post!

2 January 2006 at 17:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home