Progress
I went to visit the doctor today, Ms J. He listened to my story and offered a sympathetic ear.
"Allergic reactions can be very unpleasant," he said flatly, slowly blinking his eyes. "Would you like me to refer you to an allergist for testing?"
Well, duh. If you were on fire, would you like me to .... YES, you tool! Of course I want to see a specialist. I want to find out exactly what it was that I reacted to. And avoid it forever after.
"Yes, doctor," I said. "That would be very helpful, I think."
We discussed the purchase of an "Epipen", an emergency device for injecting epinephrine in case of anaphylactic reaction to allergies or severe and Life-threatening asthma attack.
EpiPen -- "Because every second counts."

***
He gave me a prescription and I bought one. $100. It seems expensive as hell to me, but if it saves my Life sometime ...
You know, Ms J, I don't even know if I need it or not. I haven't been tested, yet. The doctor told me his receptionist would make an appointment for me to see an allergist - Dr. Ho. (He sounds more like a gynecologist, doesn't he?) And the tests may not proof conclusive.
"Meanwhile," said the phlegmatic physician, "stay away from nuts."
No worries there, mate. I've become obsessive about reading labels.
So must I carry this stupid needle everywhere I go? "Just in case?" I don't want to, to be honest. And I don't want to tell everyone about this. I don't want to be a freak. I just want to be normal, or as normal as I used to be. Back in the day.
But that day is over, isn't it, Ms Journal? We'll know more, hopefully, after the tests in a week or so.

It doesn't fit easily in a pocket. A jacket pocket, I suppose. But not a pants pocket. Will I have to wear one of those "fanny packs"? (sorry Michelle! LOL!) And look like a freak?
The doctor told me a recent story about a young man in the U.S. who kissed his girlfriend after he'd eaten a peanut butter sandwich. She died. I don't want to die, Ms J. That's the Truth. That would spoil my entire day.
I'm scared.
***

6 Comments:
Glad you got sometime just in case of an emergency. Does in come in a case or something that you could put into a pocket, maybe a holder off your belt? There must be some way for guys to carry it, we women would have a purse! "Avoid nuts" ha ha, only hang out with normal people--sorry, that line is kinda funny even though so serious.
Roflmao....it's ok i'm covering my eyes and ears LOL! I'm still trying to breathe after your comment about "If you were on fire.........LMAO!
We don't want you to keel over either, but hey if it works. Don't worry, there are more freakier freaks than you around trust me i know, i deal with em everyday! I'm sure you'll find a discreet place to put it. Maybe you can buy a "Manbag" ;)
I'm sory that PBS beat me to making a comment about avoiding nuts. Porting things is a problem. I do resort to a fanny pack sometimes in summer when I am wearing shallow-pocketed shorts. What's a guy to do, eh?
Can you get Benadryl there (diphenhydramine in generic) it is good to have as well if you are allergic to some unknownsubstance. I think the epipen only comes in the one size, and the directions should indicate that you are supposed to keep it with you. Dale, you are swelling quickly- but it isn't blocking your ability to breath, so it is a pain in the tail, but shoudln't be life threatening as long as you keep the pen handy.
HIYA! So sorry to hear about all your trouble...I find it interesting because I have recently found myself reacting to seafood (I have never had a problem in 30 years). Out to Red Lobster one night and I almost keeled over. Happened twice more before I actually got a brain and made the connection. In both cases the people I was with just looked at me and said "are you ok?" HMMMM...ghostly pale, keeling over, universal sign of breathing problems...good sign that nope, things aren't ok. Sometimes people are just dumb, but I digress. I never thought to go get an epipen. (Really I'M not stupid, just and overtired, overworked mom). At any rate, I got to thinking, you may be able to find a glasses case that it fits in and many of them can link to your belt. (Walmart has a great selection of lttle ones that reading glasses fit in...and they are slim) Also some of the larger cell phone cases or pencil cases too. Anything that links to a belt so you don't need to go the fanny pack route (shielding my eyes in terror...not the FANNY PACK!*wink*). Hope that little brainstorm helps. Keep up the great blogging.
K.
I just got an Epipen too. Along with it's not so convenient size I was particularly fond of the nurse's demonstration regarding jabbing it into the fatty part of my leg.
And you will appreciate this...just had a round of blood work done because of the throat swelling and hives caused by milk and soy to confirm all food allergies. All came back negative. So, when I inquired about the swelling and hives at the allergist the nurse said, "Obviously if you have a reaction to something don't eat it because the test might be wrong." Gonna be kinda hard to do that WHEN I AM DEAD. Idiots. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home