Me? A Paid Actor?
I got a phone call the other day from Simon. Simon directed me years ago in a play called "Swimming For Shore." It was a community play, written for and about the lakeshore communities of Mimico, New Toronto, Long Branch and Alderwood. It was a delightful story and my first serious foray into the world of stage acting.
"My company is doing a play for Toronto Hydro, Dale, and I was wondering if you could help me out. We need a male actor."
I was confused. Who? What? Where? When?
It turns out I was recommended by an acquaintance of mine - Heather is her name - who was assistant director of "Swimming For Shore" and with whom I've taken a few acting classes. Heather runs Sirius Theatrical Company, an acting school. She has recently been hired by Simon to fill the position of General Manager of his theatre group, Mixed Company. Mixed Company is not a community theatre company, but rather a professional company specializing in Forum Theatre. Click on the link to learn about Forum Theatre. It's very effective as a teaching tool in schools, government and business.
"When does it open, Simon?" I asked.
"Thursday. Next Thursday. The 15th."
"Are you serious?" I exclaimed. "When will we rehearse?"
This idea was looking worse by the minute. Such short notice!
"When are you available?" he answered.
I told him about my split shifts, four hours in the morning and then another four in the afternoon.
"So you'd be able to rehearse during the day then, eh? Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday?"
I told him yes, between ten and say, two.
"Could you give us til three?"
Maybe. But I'd have to take the afternoon off work. And I can't afford to do that.
"It's a paying gig, Dale."
He called it a gig, Ms J. The man called it a gig. How much did it pay, I asked him. I was thinking of maybe a hundred dollars.
"Six hundred and fifty dollars," Simon said, matter-of-factly. "Total. Three days of rehearsal and two fifteen minute shows."
I just stood there, clutching the phone and blinking. Six hundred ...??
"Yeah, I think we can work around your schedule. Will you do it, Dale?"
I found my voice again and did my best to sound impassive.
"OK, Simon. I look forward to working with you again. It's been a long time since "Swimming For Shore". Do you remember me?"
He said he did and recalled that I played multiple characters in that play. It was really challenging, but fun. Simon and Heather are good at bringing out the best in an actor.
I'll be busy this week, Ms J. Dan's birthday is on Monday. I'll have rehearsals downtown on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and two little shows on Thursday. Friday, I'm collecting Scout for our Father/Daughter Conference at Teen Ranch.
Gosh, my Life is exciting. And Dan puts it over the top!
***

6 Comments:
That's it! I am going into "acting", i am in the wrong job :(
Actually, on second thought's i probably have a face for radio!
AWESOME News, Dale!!! I can't wait to hear about your "new" paying job! Only wish I was nearby so I could come see you this time.
And I won't say "Break A Leg" LOL!
Michelle..you'd be stunning up on stage!
(((((((DALE))))))))
beam!!!
god never closes a door without showing ya another one....
That's pretty effing cool.
CONGRATULATIONS! That's awesome!
Post a Comment
<< Home