A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Monday, September 26, 2005

The Arrogance of Youth

Some young people can be quite arrogant, can't they? I remember feeling pretty smug back in the days when I was still omniscient. Arrogance, youthful arrogance, is born I think, of a sense of one's own immortality. And young people, especially boys, are quite convinced they are immortal, invulnerable, "Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof" to quote country singer Travis Tritt. That's why armies find young men so valuable, although dispensable.

I was at work this afternoon, at the throttle of a train loaded with homebound commuters, when I rounded a curve to find two young men strolling along between the rails. They had their backs to us and were still some distance away when I rang the bell. As we closed the distance at 60 mph, I sounded the whistle. They turned and regarded our train as though they hadn't a care in the world. I blew the whistle again. We were perhaps a quarter mile from them. Maybe fifteen seconds at our current speed.

There are three main line tracks at that location. Our train occupied the middle track, as did the trespassing teens. I blew the whistle again. Train whistles are LOUD, Ms J. REALLY LOUD. And the headlight is very bright. But as I said, they were moving in the same direction as our train.

"Look at these two, will ya?" I said to my mate who was staring at them and shaking his head.

"Idiots," was his response. "Helluva place for an afternoon stroll."

Kevin looked in the mirror mounted outside his window and spoke with more urgency.

"I hope they don't step over onto Track One. Here comes 48 and he's haulin' ass."

Number 48 is a daily passenger train that runs from Toronto to Montreal. That train travels at 100 mph.

"Is he getting close?" I asked.

"Naw. He's still back a ways. I can see his headlight, though."

I pressed the yellow horn button again and held it this time. The horn sounded long and loud. I wanted these kids to get off the tracks. And stay off them. Why do people insist on using railway tracks as a pedestrian thoroughfare?

The two stepped out of our path and of course, onto Track One into the path of 48. I grabbed the radio handset.

"VIA 48, this is GO 414. Over."

No response. I tried again.

"VIA 48, this is GO 414. Over."

And finally they answered.

"48 here. Go ahead 414."

I warned them to watch out for trespassers and gave them the exact location.

As we flashed past these unconcerned kids, horn blaring a deafening warning, they both turned toward us and extended their arms and displayed the one-finger salute. Then they calmly disappeared into the woods. At least they were safe

Think of it, Ms J. We encounter trespassers who are in imminent danger of being struck by not one, but two speeding trains. We warn them, possibly saving their Lives, and how do they respond? By telling us to go screw ourselves!

Sometimes I wonder how we ever lived through those self-important teen years. It's amazing any of us survived!

***

7 Comments:

Blogger Zette said...

OH MY, Dale! My heart is still racing, imagining those young fools not only endangering themselves, but every single person on your train as well as the second train. I'm so glad it turned out ok, and glad YOU'RE OK, but damn, what a scary moment! Too many people don't realize how long it takes a train to stop.

26 September 2005 at 23:14  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I have been known to say, and I know this can be taken wrongly for I don't really mean it harshly, that when kids of a certain age are hanging together, they are not fully human.

27 September 2005 at 00:08  
Blogger Michelle said...

Anvilcloud hit the nail on the head, that age X 2 = indestructable.

27 September 2005 at 04:00  
Blogger PBS said...

That's so scary what kids can do together. When my son was young I had to keep him away from a certain other kid. And the mother of the other kid had to keep him away from my son! Both kids were great around other kids but a bad influence around each other.

27 September 2005 at 07:02  
Blogger gemmak said...

I'm with Anvilcloud on this one...once a gang of em get together the adolescent bravado crap kicks in and they barely rate as human for a time.

27 September 2005 at 14:10  
Blogger Larry said...

Gee Jenn....

And here I always thought it meant 'I NUMBER ONE!!!!'

Go figure...



Oh yeah....Dale.....

Awesome story....I love reading your stuff...I have the main line from Niagara Falls to Hamilton right behind my apartment in Grimsby, and its funny how SOME people have to always walk the tracks....

Some people kids...lol

27 September 2005 at 14:11  
Blogger gemmak said...

p.s. Love Jenn's comment...too funny :o)

27 September 2005 at 14:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home