A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Friday, August 19, 2005

What's next with Dan? This.

I "graduated" from physiotherapy this morning. I've waited a long time and worked hard toward this day, but when Barbara announced this would be my final visit, I felt a little sad. That clinic and those girls - Barbara and Sabina - had become a part of my Life, and although I'm pleased that I no longer require their care, I'm a little sorry that I won't see them anymore. I gave them a thank you card with a gift inside for each of them. I'll miss their sunny dispositions and their warm, encouraging smiles.

Thank you both! So much. I was crippled. Now I'm healed. It's nothing short of a miracle!




At home later, I was sitting at the dining room table, feeling my feelings, and gazing into the back garden. A young robin had found a juicy worm and I smiled as I watched him struggle to pull it free of the soil.

The phone rang and disturbed my reverie.

"Hi Dale. It's me. Have you got a minute?"

It was Kelly. She was using that breathy voice she uses when she has something grave to impart. I turned toward the window and looked again at the robin. This time, I felt no joy.

"Yeah OK, Kelly. What's up?"

She began with a frustratingly circuitous preamble about the merits of "co-parenting" and the importance of showing the kids a united front. Blah, blah, blah.

I interrupted her to ask, "Is this about Daniel, Kelly? Or Scout?"

"Daniel," she said in her breathy way. "Promise me you won't freak out when I tell you."

I sought again the comfort of the garden, but the robin had finished his lunch and flown away. I took a deep, slow breath to centre myself.

"I won't freak out, Kelly. I promise."

Kelly remembers the old Dale - the angry, violent, frightened Dale. That Dale doesn't live here anymore. I waited while my ex-wife organized her thoughts. After a long time, she spoke.

"You're going to be a grandfather, Dale. I'm going to be a grandmother. Maxine is pregnant. Dan's the father."

Emotions swirled all through me. Anger. Disappointment. Fear. Sorrow. I managed but two syllables in response to Kelly's disturbing news.

"OK."

It sounded silly so I said it again. Slower this time.

"Oooh Kaaay."

It still sounded stupid, so I followed that with an acquiescent "Alright."

I may have appeared calm, but my mind was racing. A baby? Dan? Where will they live? How will they get by? Dan has no job. No education. No job skills. Maxine is mentally challenged. That's what they call it nowadays. Mentally challenged, my arse. The girl is retarded. How will she care for a child? She can't even carry a conversation. And Dan. How could he BE so irresponsible? Irresponsible. Legally, the word means "not mentally or financially fit to assume responsibility." That's an accurate description of my son, Ms J. And his seventeen-year-old girlfriend. Her parents won't help. Maxine's mum is a hardcore alcoholic. And she doesn't know where (or who?) her dad is.

I quieted my thoughts while Kelly prattled on.

"... and I'll be the one who looks after the baby. I'll be the only one who knows what to do with a brand new baby. I've already been down that road. Three times. It doesn't matter to me if I have to do it again. They have no clue what the hell they're doing, Dale. I'll let them try caring for the baby for a few days and as soon as I see that they're not being responsible, I'll take that child and move away. Dan and Maxine will never see that kid again. And I mean it."

I closed my eyes and slowly shook my head. What a load of self-indulgent crap! The child is not even born yet, and already Kelly has appointed herself chief guardian. She's already rehearsing her role as caregiver. And martyr.

"What about abortion, Kelly? Is Maxine open to that possibility?"

"No. I already asked her about it, but she says she's Catholic. She's a strong Catholic."

It's ironic, Ms Journal. Isn't it? Maxine is too Catholic to submit to an abortion, but apparently not Catholic enough to abstain from pre-marital sex. If she weren't mentally handicapped, I'd declare the hypocrisy of it laughable.

"What about adoption?" I asked. "Have they thought about that?"

"Well," Kelly began, "I suggested that, but they say they want to have the child and raise it together. They'll probably end up living here with me. I'm the one who'll end up raising that child."

Could be, I thought. 'Cause they sure as hell won't be living here. I hope you're proud of yourself, Kelly. It was you who first brought the two of them together. I didn't say it, Ms J. I just thought it. I had other thoughts too. Horrible thoughts. Thoughts I'm too ashamed of to share.

The conversation ended politely with me thanking Kelly for not trying to hide this from me. She thanked me in turn, for taking it so well. In Truth, I'd been half-expecting this phone call. A part of me knew this might happen.

I spoke with my minister from church this afternoon. Linda offered compassion, understanding, and this admonishment:

"Don't take on this responsibility, Dale. This is not your show. Let Dan and Maxine take centre stage here. You don't have to support what's happened, but don't condemn them either. Mistakes happen. This is not the first teenager who's ever gotten pregnant. It might be a good idea to suggest to Kelly that Maxine get some sort of counseling. Dan too. They'll need to be prepared for the shock of reality they'll witness after the baby's born. Neither you nor Kelly can offer effective counseling. You're too close to the situation. Too emotional. And Maxine should be seeing a doctor regularly."

I think that's good, sound advice. All of it.

But you know what makes this tragedy - this situation even more regrettable, Ms J? A woman I know of longs to have a child. I'm certain she and her husband would be good parents. They're in their early thirty's, employed, settled in a house. They have so much to offer a child, yet my friend remains childless. And she hurts. She despairs of ever having a child of her own. Yet in an unfathomable twist of fate, one that only God Herself can understand, the seed of Life has been sown in the belly of a teenage girl who has nothing to offer a child, but Love. Let us pray that John Lennon was right in his declaration that "All You Need Is Love."

And let us pray also for patience, understanding and acceptance that God has a grand plan for my childless friends. Together, let us gather all our cares, and place them confidently in His hands.

***

10 Comments:

Blogger PBS said...

Oh no, sorry to hear of this situation. Right now it's kind of a winless/winless situation. Maybe it will turn around. Sometimes a baby can change things for the better. Guess I'm an optimist!

19 August 2005 at 22:50  
Blogger Larry said...

Well....I guess the old saying 'You made your bed....' Hang on, I guess the bed was unmade.....sorry....I couldn't resist...

I truly hope that all works out. I know Dan is going through soooo much. Perhaps this kick in the pants and the other situation will help straighten him out...

You know the saying....God only gives you what you can handle....so perhaps.....

Thinking of you my friend....

20 August 2005 at 10:45  
Blogger Zette said...

WOW, what a mess this is turning into. I feel sorry for Dan and Maxine, as they have NO clue how hard it is to be good parents. None of us did, and that's scary looking back at how naive we were to think love was all it took. Love doesn't pay for diapers and doctors.

But I digress....it WILL BE OK, Dale. One way or the other, it will be ok. It's amazing how quickly some of our worst adolescent traits, give way to our adulthood responsibilities, when we have an innocent one who relies solely on US!

I'll be keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers. Grandpa! *winkwink*

20 August 2005 at 11:46  
Blogger Michelle said...

Wow, *sigh*, i don't know what to say :(

20 August 2005 at 19:18  
Blogger gemmak said...

Oh dear Dale, I think this was perhaps inevitable but it may just be the thing to make Dan start behaving like an adult. I feel sad for them and for you in this but they ownt be the first or last in this situation and I'm sure with guidance they will get through it. I have to agree on the Catolic aspect tho.....sex outside of marriage is ok but termination is unthinkable??? Like you I could laugh at that if it wasn't so sad and damned annoying!

Chin up mate :o) xx

20 August 2005 at 20:20  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

Oh man, that's rough Dale! My heart goes out to you. Guess there's only so much we can do to lead our children in the right direction - at some point you have to let go and hope for the best.

21 August 2005 at 01:43  
Blogger Dora said...

Oy vey.
Lynda is right that this isn't your responsibility but that sure doesn't prevent you from worrying to death about it, does it?
Sometimes the right thing to do is the most difficult...step back and let them all work it out.
Kelly is good at that ->working things out, she'll probably relish in all the martyrdom....let her have it. Your job will be to shower your grandchild with unconditional love.

21 August 2005 at 07:08  
Blogger Norma said...

I'm sorry for your whole family. Someday your heart will expand to include this little one, but right now, it's got to be so tough.

I've gone back and read some of your older posts--darn good for a one finger typist.

21 August 2005 at 16:10  
Blogger Donna said...

It may worry you now Dale, but you'll be a great Grandad ...

22 August 2005 at 04:57  
Blogger Loner said...

As usual - I'm with the Washlady - she'lll love the drama - let her wallow in it. You will be a great grandpa. Ask my kids - sometimes that is more important than having great parents.

24 August 2005 at 15:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home