A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Friday, July 08, 2005

Dealing with the Government

I got a letter yesterday from the federal government. HRSDC. Human Resources and Skills Development Canada. Fancy name, eh? They're the folks who administer our Unemployment Insurance benefits - Employment Insurance it's called now. We call it "pogey". As in, "Is he back to work yet or is he still on pogey?" They're also responsible for sick/disability benefits.

Most employers offer sick benefits to their employees, usually through third party insurance. My employer is no different. The deal is, we're entitled to 16 weeks of coverage through Great West Life, then we go on pogey for 11 weeks. If we're still not able to work after that, we go back on GWL benefits for a further 16 weeks.

I've been very fortunate so far. I've had virtually no trouble at all from the French-Canadians at Great West Life in Montreal. Even the Royal Bank has been more than fair about honouring the disability mortgage insurance I bought when I first purchased this house 18 months ago. I'm so pleased, and surprised quite honestly. I mean, if an insurance company won't give you a hassle, who will?

I'll tell you who will, Ms J. The government, that's who.

After paying me only four weeks worth of benefits, they send me a letter telling me I'll receive no further payments. "Please contact us."

I spent half an hour on the phone this morning before I finally spoke with a real person. The right person.

"Oh, we'll need a note from your doctor, sir," she said in her breathy kind of way.

I told her I'd given them a doctor's note when I'd first applied for benefits. A month ago.

"But we require another one, sir. A current one."

The note was written on the very day I delivered it to them. At their office. At my expense. On my sore leg. I told her that. I told her all that, and more. I explained my situation was temporary. I explained I wouldn't be seeing the specialist again until August 2 and asked if she could possibly authorise benefits til then. I remained calm and friendly. I joked a bit with her. As I became more desperate, I tried cojoling her. I even tried appealing to her sense of justice. I did not beg, though. I stopped just short of begging. But the woman was intractable.

"So if I somehow get a note from my orthopedic surgeon," I said at last, "and bring it to you, then you'll restart my benefits?"

"After a two week waiting period," she said. I think she enjoyed saying that, Ms J.

"Alright then, dear. As you wish." And I hung up.

What a pain in the neck these people are. I've paid into this programme for thirty years. Contributions are automatically deducted from our paycheques. The programme currently has a HUGE surplus. This has been widely reported. But this woman was just doing her job, I guess. She must deal with a lot of unhappy people. I resisted the urge to demonstrate my dissatisfaction, and I'm glad I did.

I made an appointment to see my family doctor here in Mimico. I'll visit him on Monday afternoon. Hopefully, he can help me.

I'm off now to Mount Forest to visit Mum and Dad. I'll be back on Sunday night. Ciao!

***

3 Comments:

Blogger Jennytc said...

I don't suppose the doctors are too pleased at having to fit people in for extra appointment for such things either. Hope you get it sorted out soon.

9 July 2005 at 16:19  
Blogger Michelle said...

Damn government depts, it's no different here, infact i'd guess it's worse here. Dial the number, then the answering bloody machine,"press 1 for such and such...2 for such and such....3 for such and such....wait.."you pressed 2 for such and sch, we thank you, now press 1 for such and such....2 for such and such....ARGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

9 July 2005 at 19:03  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

It's stories like that that make me so grateful I don't work for the government anymore. I spent 13 years working for the federal government, but had to get out before I'd lose my mind. People thought I was crazy to give up all that security, good pay, benefits, etc., but I though I'd be crazy to stay. I'm SO much happier now.

10 July 2005 at 00:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home