One of these days, Norton ...
Pow! To the moon!
That's what television comedian Jackie Gleason used to say to his friend, Ed Norton when he was angry with him. And that's what I'd like to say to the brainless fuckwits at Symantec.
I use Norton Anti-virus software. I've used it for years without much complaint. A year ago, I borrowed a copy of Norton SystemWorks from a guy at work and installed it. Recently, I was informed that my subscription needed renewing in order to stay abreast of the latest viruses, etc. So I visited Symantec's website and bought a renewal. $32.
After trying for two days, I'm still unable to entice the program to accept my new eleven digit subscription key. I spent nearly an hour on the phone this afternoon with a series of tech support people whose English is so poor, I could barely understand them. I became quite flustered.
"I haven't a clue what you're talking about, sir," I said finally to one. "Is there anyone there who can speak English?"
"Please hold sir."
And I waited. And waited. Played a game of solitaire. And waited some more.
Finally, "Hello. This is Mohammad speaking. How am I helping you?"
Lovely, thought I. Just bloody lovely. I've called an office in India. Or Brampton. I took a deep breath and began my story again.
And when I had finished, he said, "Can you spell your e-mail address?"
I knew he was going to say that, Ms J. I just knew it. It was the same stupid question that I had answered already at least four times. I rhymed off my address.
"Vhat is your country, sir?"
"Canada," I said as if it might somehow make a difference. I could not see, for the Life of me, how repeating my information would help me install this sodding subscription key - this $32 subscription key.
"Vhat city, please?"
"Toronto."
I was starting to come unravelled. I just wanted to renew my anti-virus subscription. Why must it be so difficult?
"Can you spell, please?"
"T - O - R - O - N - T - O."
"P? O? R? ..."
"No. 'T' as in ... ummm tea." I was losing it. And quickly. "'T' for God's sake, man. Toronto. It's only the biggest f ..., the biggest city in the whole fu ..."
I was rapidly becoming incoherant. I couldn't even form a sentence without cursing. I stopped for a moment and really focused on my breathing. I needed to calm myself.
"Torumpo?"
And this man wasn't helping things.
"OK," I said finally. "This is bullshit. I just wanted some help with my subscription renewal but all you people know how to do, is ask stupid and unnecessary questions. I have neither the stomach nor the patience for this horseshit today. Maybe I'll try tomorrow. Maybe I won't. Maybe you can take my $32 and work it up your arses."
And I hung up the phone.

@#&**#@!!!!

I'm sorry I behaved that way, Ms J. But I really cannot bear it when something so apparently simple, is complicated like that. I'm sure Norton has saved a lot of money on wages by contracting their tech support to a third world country. I'm sure their share holders are thrilled. But I'm not impressed. Not at all. Dell has done the same thing with their tech support.
I don't really care where in the world you live, but if your job requires you to speak English, then learn it. Practice it. Speak it. Stop interrogating customers, and work toward helping them solve their problems. This incident happened an hour ago and I'm still angry. It could be I'm the one with the problem. I'll see how I feel tomorrow.
This concludes my rant. Thank you for reading it through.
***

8 Comments:
Yea... I don't think it's you Dale. I work in Accounting and I get to call all sorts of businesses. English speaking businesses, and 9 times out of 10 my call gets forwarded across seas to someone who doesn't speak English as their first language.
Try asking a question that isn't on their little list, with proper responses sometime. That's always a hoot.
Oh Dear Lord can we relate to this. Dell lost our business to the tune of $5K because they had our new laptops so screwed up that the harddrives had to be replaced - the techs couldn't speak English and it was a bloody nightmare.
Do NOT NOT NOT give up on getting that taken care of. Symantec needs to know you have a problem. Tell them that you asked to speak to someone who can speak English and you will keep asking until you get someone.
Are there other numbers (like headquarters even tho they can't do tech support they can take your complaint) that you can get to call.
I hate it - we finally gave up, reversed the charges on our credit card for the computers, packed them up and sent them back with signature required and went with another company.
I hate it - I hate it.
I like Toshiba, and their offices are in TO. Even then, many of their support people speak accented English. Fortunately, they speak well enough that we can communicate, but me and my poor ears are forced to really concentrate sometimes.
Keep at it Dale. These call centres are shit. Just about every company has them now. Even good old BT (British Telecom as was) who still seem to have their call centres based here manage to f**k things up. When I moved house, I called their 'moving house' line. It took 6 or 7 calls over 4 weeks to eventually get the service I had at one house transferred to another. I blame the companies for paying peanuts. Pay peanuts, get monkeys.
This is Canada, damn it! Learn to speak bloody English!
Oh, and French.
It's almost as bad here when you find yourself talking to someone with a really strong Scottish or Newcastle accent, but many of our businesses are relocating their call centres in the East too.
But you would be surprised to find out where most Call Centers REALLY are.....lolol
Ohhh...how I have been there and how I feel for you but your recollection of events made me laugh uncontrollably....I wish I had been a fly on the wall.
Are there any help desk staff in the computer world who know the language they need or have the tech knowledge required???....none wherever I call! Gah!
Post a Comment
<< Home