A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Monday, January 17, 2005

Trusting and Loving.


Monday.

Scott phoned Dan on Saturday. He told Dan he'’d pick him up after work on Monday (today) and take him to Kelly’'s for a few days. This morning, Scott called to say he was having “car trouble” and wouldn'’t be able to fetch Dan until tomorrow. I relayed the message to The Boy when he got up this morning. He was visibly disappointed. He’'d been looking forward to spending a few days with his mum and baby Emily. (As usual, he didn’'t mention Meagan.) He already had his bags packed.

When Dan called Scott to ask about the change of plans, Scott told him he didn'’t have a car with which to fetch him. He’'d lent it to someone and wouldn'’t have it back until tomorrow sometime.

“"Yeah, Scott said he loaned his car to a friend of his and the guy won'’t be bringing it back until tomorrow, Dad,”" Dan explained. “"He'’s not having car trouble. He just doesn'’t have his car at the moment, that'’s all."”

Another promise unfulfilled. Or delayed. I wonder how much longer Dan and Meagan will tolerate lies and empty promises? Why did Scott tell Daniel he’'d pick him up and take him to his mother'’s house, and then lend his car to someone and cancel his plans? I hate disappointing my kids. I know, Ms J, disappointment is inevitable sometimes. It’'s part of Life. But why disappoint when you don'’t have to? Why make promises you can'’t or don'’t intend to keep?

“"Can YOU drive me, Dad?"”

I looked at the clock. It was 1:00. I had to be back at work at 3:15. It takes about 90 minutes to make a return trip to Acton from Mimico. What if there were a traffic snarl? Or inclement weather?

“"No, Dan. We don'’t have time now."”

But he looked so crestfallen. He really wanted to go. He was bored at my house. A change of scenery might do him good.

“"Please, Dad? We have enough time if we go now. I’'m all ready to go. I'’ve got my stuff packed and everything.”" He reached into his pocket and extracted a roll of LifeSavers candy. Butter Rum. My favourite.

“"I'’ll give you this,"” he grinned and popped it into my breast pocket. “"Paid. In advance."”

I love that boy. I’'m a big push-over, I guess. And it WOULD mean I’'d get a few days alone here. I sighed and checked my watch.

“"OK, Dan. Let’'s go."”

So we went. Dan put a backpack and an overnight bag in the car, along with his new guitar.

“"Have you remembered your pills?"” I asked.

“"Got '‘em, Dad. Right here.”" And he patted his faded backpack.

“"And your razor?"”

“"Yup."”

“"Toothbrush?”"

“"Dad! I got everything. Let’'s go. Time is tight."”

We were enroute about ten minutes when Dan remembered something.

“"Ah crap!”" he exclaimed. “"I forgot my smokes."”

Oh dear, I thought sardonically. It'’s a catastrophe. A great, bloody catastrophe.

“"It'’s too late now, Dan. We haven'’t time to go back and get them."”

“"That'’s OK, Dad. I’'ll smoke mum'’s. Or Tim'’s. They smoke Player’s Extra Lights. They'’ll hafta do for now, until I get some of my own."”

Something occurred to him then and he turned to face me in the front seat.

“"I was wondering, Dad, if I might possibly have an advance on my allowance for next week?"”

So you can buy tobacco, Dan? Or drugs from one of your many contacts in Acton? Or maybe Mum will ask you for a loan “until Tim gets his money from the government.” Or until she gets her child support. I shook my head and turned down the volume on the radio. Gosh, I can'’t stand today'’s music. It'’s nothing but noise, devoid of any meaning whatsoever. When I spoke, my voice was firm.

“"No. I gave you twenty dollars on Friday. You bought two CD'’s with it. That was your choice. If you feel you need some money, ask Mum. You said she promised to give you forty dollars. Ask her for it.”"

I knew Kelly would renege on her promise. She almost always does.

“"Alright. I'’ll ask Mum. Or Tim."”

“"Or Gary,"” I suggested. “"Maybe you could ask Gary for some money. If you see him.”"

“"I doubt Gary will be there, Dad. And if he is, I doubt he'’ll give me any money."”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'’ve been drinking wine tonight, Ms Journal. And to tell you the God’'s honest Truth, I'’m getting too drunk to write a good ending for this post.

So anyway, I dropped Dan at his mum'’s place and hurried back to work.

“"If the shit gets too thick there, Dan,”" I told him, “"you call me and I'’ll come and get you. Anytime. Day or night. If you can'’t handle it and you're thinking about getting high, call me. OK?”"

“Don'’t worry, Dad. I'’ll be fine. You can pick me up on Friday when you come to collect Meagan.”"

Trust, Ms J. I’'m trusting my son. I'’m loving him and trusting him. And, believe it or not, missing him.

G'’ night.

7 Comments:

Blogger Zette said...

LOL! Well seeing as how you posted this twice, I can only assume the wine was really good tonight!

I'm sorry to hear Scott let Dan down again, leaving you to fulfill his promises, but you are JUST the DAD to pick up those pieces they seem to keep leaving behind. Kudos, Dale! Hopefully everything went well once Dan got there and hopefully he let Scott and Kelly know how their broken promises make him feel. Maybe you'll also get a good week's rest and be ready to have a GREAT weekend with BOTH of your kids this time!

And for the record....Butter Rum LifeSavers are MY favorite as well and have been since I was a child. MMMMMMMMM!!!!!

BTW: your ending to this post was just perfect. Simple, to the point and meaningful. Take care Friend!

18 January 2005 at 01:25  
Blogger gemmak said...

Dan will learn about Scott in time, but the rest you have to trust him with, you have no other choice.

I have an hilarious picture in my mind of you sitting there drunk, trying deperately to type this post! heh.

18 January 2005 at 10:18  
Blogger Larry said...

Dale,

You are so much the 'Dad', I wish I could get to that same point with my girls, and I know I have to work onit with them. But your kids are so lucky to have a Dad like you!!!!

As per your Red Wine...lol...I think you and I both enjoy our red wine and should have a night and chill out and talk.....

Larry

18 January 2005 at 10:27  
Blogger Dale said...

Two fingers???!! Jennefer! You know very well that I'm not that proficient. You know I'm a one-finger man. I am not a fast typist. I'm known as a half-fast typist. YOU, however, are fast. O ..... M ..... G!!!!!!!!!!!!
If I could type like you, I'd only need five minutes a day for my blog. Sorry, did I say minutes? I meant seconds.

18 January 2005 at 13:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dale, June here.

You told Dan that you would pick him up if it got too hard to handle at Kelly's. All he had to do was call.
However, what would you have done if he had called for your help after you had been drinking the wine?
Makes you think eh?
Love you
Bye now.

21 January 2005 at 09:51  
Blogger Dale said...

I would have called my brother who lives 10 minutes from Acton and asked for his help. But I understand what you're saying, June. Sisters. Pfffff.

21 January 2005 at 10:46  
Blogger Dale said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

21 January 2005 at 10:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home