A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Participation and Purpose

I spent Tuesday morning at the church. John Sullivan, Murray Seeley and I decorated the front lawn with shepherds and sheep. We chained them all together and locked them to thwart local thieves. We then spread straw about to cover the chains and the extension cords. There are about eight large white flood lights there to illuminate the scene. The angel is poised, high above, fixed to the wall of the church. It looks great! And I’m so pleased to have helped.

That’s one of the secrets to lasting happiness, I think. It feels good to help. It feels good to know you are needed and appreciated. Participation adds purpose to Life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've got a busy month planned. Yikes! December already. Christmas is on its way. I’ve already played Santa at the church bazaar and I’ve promised to appear again at a music concert held at the church on December 12. Yesterday, Sully asked if I’d be willing to play Santa for The Dundas Centre, a drop in for mentally challenged adults. I told him no.

I’m getting better at that, Ms. Journal. Saying no, I mean. It’s gotten easier as I’ve gotten busier. People will continue to make demands of me and the trick is to find the right balance that allows me to have fun, feel important, and fulfilled, and still have time to do other things. Things for myself. Like Christmas shopping, or decorating my home.

Dan’s working today from 11:00 til 4:00. I watched him through the window as he strode off down the street. T’was a purposeful stride, Ms. J. T’was the stride of a man with a purposeful Life.

2 Comments:

Blogger magz said...

okay.... cool! busy is good! Now, wouldya please please please do me a teensy lil favor?
let dan do dan! maybe ask him if he wants to busy round a bit with ya, but dont grill the poor schmuck... wait'll he offers his day to ya. it's a whole new world out there to him... let him play it as close to the vest as he chooses... for now.
i love ya both... and i'm lost in writerland. see ya!

2 December 2004 at 12:13  
Blogger gemmak said...

Ok.......so we MUST HAVE a pic of you as Santa....no excuses now, no digicam? go get a film cam and scan the pics you get back....one way or another this pic is a must! hehe

2 December 2004 at 15:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home