Cruel, cruel world.
Last night, I held my son. I held him and stroked his long hair while he cried into my chest. Great, deep, wracking sobs, Ms J. It was the unmistakable sound of a heart breaking. This was no stage drama. This was real Life. Dan's real Life.
"It's all turned to shit, Dad, he sobbed. "Why does everything I do, turn to shit? I've been trying so hard, Dad. I have. I've fucked up so bad. I'm sorry, Dad. I'm just so sorry."
And the pain came again, louder this time. I held him tighter.
He has decided not to visit Miss Autumn Jones who lives in Defiance, Ohio. She doesn't seem to know what she wants. She's not sure if she wants to meet Dan. She says they're "moving too fast." What?? They've never even met, for goodness sake. How can that be "moving too fast"? Miss Jones is just a young girl. She's only sixteen.
The Boy was looking forward to the trip. Not only would he meet a girl, but more importantly, it was an odyssey - an adventure. A road trip on his own. He's very disappointed. So am I.
"After all the work we did to get me a passport ..."
He didn't start his new job yesterday either. The video store phoned him up and the owner asked him to come in last night for a "second interview." He shaved and trimmed his beard, and put on some nice clothes and arrived a little early for his meeting. He forgot to shower and so his hair was a bit oily and stringy. (The pills he takes seem to affect his memory at times.) He was in the store only about twenty minutes.
"We'll call you," the man had said and walked Dan to the door.
Hurt and disappointment tumbled from between my son's quivering lips. His words spilled out with his frustration. And his fear. And his desire to please me.
"I know I didn't get the job. 'I'll call you.' I know what that means. It means they've changed their minds. They've got someone else for the job. I wish I knew why. Why Dad? Why didn't they like me? Is it my hair? My clothes? What? I moved here all the way from Mum's. I brought all my stuff. I want this job, Dad. I really do. I'm not chickenshit like you said I was. I'm really trying to get a job. And you said I couldn't stay here unless I was working. I've fucked up my Life now, Dad. I've ruined my Life."
Oh how that boy cried! How beautiful and blue were his eyes when he raised his young face to look at me. So hungry for Love. So hungry for acceptance. And so afraid of my reaction to this honest, open display of raw emotion.
I stood beside him as he sat in a chair by the diningroom table and took his face in my hands.
"What do you mean 'ruined your Life', Dan?"
"With drugs. Bad drugs. And now I have to take these stupid pills for the rest of my Life. And I don't want to. I just want to be normal. I just want to fit in. Oh God, Dad," he sobbed, "What am I going to do?"
I felt so helpless, yet filled with Love and compassion - admiration, even, for this man child of mine, bravely baring his teenaged soul to me. It was a pivotal moment, Ms J. It felt that way, anyway. This was the very first time, he'd ever been so intimate, so honest with me. Ever.
He stood and fetched a box of tissues from the top of the fridge and joined me again at the table. We talked. I asked questions. He answered them. Clearly, he was ashamed of what he'd done. Clearly, he felt remorse at having disappointed me.
"I've been lying to you. I've been lying to Mum. My whole Life has been nothing but lies and bullshit. I can't go on anymore."
I told him about my drug days (daze) with Donna. And he told me about some of the drugs he'd done. A part of me didn't want to believe it, and I acknowledged that by telling Dan how I felt.
"Parents don't want to hear about this stuff, son," I told him. "We'd rather ignore it and pretend it doesn't happen. We say,'Not my kid. My kid would never do drugs - certainly not hard drugs.' But I'm listening, Dan. I want to know you. All of you. I'm so proud of you for being brave enough to talk to me."
I asked if Mum knew.
"No. Please don't tell her, OK Dad? She knows I smoke pot, but that's all. I sometimes ask her for a joint and she gives me some."
Is it just me, Ms Journal, or is there something profoundly inappropriate about a mother supplying her son with marijuana?
It was 12:30 a.m. when I went upstairs to bed. Today, I will call the doctor and get Dan in to see him. I'm unsure of how to proceed but I do know this much:
That boy needs help. Sometimes a father's Love just isn't enough.

7 Comments:
Dale,
I know how much you love your son!!! I can really relate to the hurt feelings that Dan is going through because of Autumn and I know that you understand what he's feeling.
He is soo lucky to be with you right now. I don't think it is by chance that he is at your place while this is happening. Your son needs you right now, and I KNOW you are there for him.
You are an amazing person Dale. A Father and a Friend.
Good luck with Dan. Tell Dan that I'm thinking of him and I know that you will get Dan the help he needs..
Larry
oh my boy, my boys... oh god dale, tears are pouring down my face3 and I DONT CRY DAMMIT>>
I'm printin this and takin it with me to my son today who's only difference is he's locked up... oh god oh god..
i love you guys. and mine too, i hope he hears you well, it's soo sooo i cant see. ill e later
When this first came up and I told you not to worry until it was "here" I was afraid something like this might happen. Thank God Dan was with you and not with his mother or worse, alone somewhere. Thank God, you supported him through all this so he was comfortable in coming to you - not thinking that you secretly weren't supporting him and maybe wishing something like this would happen (not that you would but sometimes our children think these things of us) to end the whole thing...
This just breaks my heart Dale as I know it does yours. THere is nothing worse, no hurt greater for us than the hurt of our children.
Thank God you are the kind of father you are and while a father's love may not feel like enough, yours isn't just any ole father's love. It's strong and caring and you will hold your son through this.
If we could only tell Dan how much WE ALL, at some point, have been where he is. Have felt that deep hurt. And, we survive. We get through it. Somehow. With someone like you by our side to take care of us. He's just a kid. Such a tough place for a man/kid. Half grown, half kid....it's heartbreaking. Corre's first taste of the cruel cruel world I can remember so clearly and you know what? HE hasn't had another girlfriend since. It's been 6 years. No kidding. There is still fallout. That girl took his heart, twisted it, stomped on it and stomped on it again. I could have strangled her with my own hands. But, like you, we were there and it brought Steven, Corre and I closer. It bonded us in a way nothing else ever has and it will you too.
It just breaks my heart Dale. Just breaks my heart. But, aren't you glad of all the decisions you made up to this point? Deciding to help him get the passport? And the photos? He clearly knows you were on his side and now can feel the advice you give him is objective and only in his best interest. You proved you were there even though you saw better of it. You proved you would stand beside him even if you didn't like the looks of this from the beginning. You proved that YOU are the one who loves him, not the girl in Defiance. You've shown him what REAL love is. So, his heart break is not for naught but it doesn't make it any easier to watch or hold on to.
But, as far as bonding and showing your son what love is, what real love looks like and feels like, you've got the lead role. A role of a lifetime dad. And, you've earned it. My love and heart is with you today Dale. In a way, as sad as this is, it's also a beautiful love story isn't it?
Dale, I don't think I can say it any better than Terri did. So please just know you both are in my thoughts and prayers.
You are truly an amazing dad and Dan is going to make it through this awful time much faster and easier because YOU are there to love him, not ridicule or belittle or judge him. Thank GOD for that!
(((((Hugs and Kisses)))))
~Zette~
Dale I don't think you realise just how much help it is to just have the love of your family around you in times of need. Dan's a lucky man to have you.
awww dale. pat pat pat hug hug. Terri's coment is brilliant; insightful, wise, and kind. Print it and hang it the the bathroom. Now kick him out of bed and tell him since he already has a passport, it's time to hit Arizona. I'm off to e you something REALLY important.
I think Lisa is quite right. Dan can't take the long view just now, but he certainly is in the right place with you and with your support and love and prayers, he'll come out the other side stronger and wiser. Thinking of you both. Sorry I have only just read this - been busy with my blog novel.
Post a Comment
<< Home