A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Wednesday, September 29, 2004

On the Way Home ...

We'd had a fantastic day, Frankie and I. The weather was perfect, the experience, unforgettable. We were chatting in the car as we followed the meandering highway eastward toward Toronto. Frankie was telling me about her Aunt Zia.

Zia was Frankie's favourite aunt. Zia worked hard to make a memorable childhood for her niece. She baked her birthday cakes with candles and always made her feel special. She never forgot her birthday. Frankie loved her aunt. She also loved butterflies. Not so very long ago, Zia died. Cancer had claimed another gentle soul. And Frankie still mourns her passing.

My friend related this story to me:

"I don't look forward to my birthday anymore. It's just not the same without my aunt. Instead of feeling happy on my special day, I remember her kindness and her gentleness and I feel sad. On my birthday this year, Tom and I were downtown attending a lecture. When we paused for lunch, my husband and I walked to a little park nearby and found a bench where we sat to have a sandwich. We hadn't been there long, when my thoughts again turned to Aunt Zia. I wished so much that I could see her again. Just for a minute or two. I wished that I'd told her how much I loved her and how I appreciated all she did for me."

"Suddenly, a beautiful butterfly appeared and sat on the bench beside us. It did not seem nervous at all! It simply sat and displayed its brilliant colours. It stayed with us until it was time to return to the lecture hall. I am absolutely convinced that butterfly was Zia. Or perhaps was sent by Zia to let me know she hadn't forgotten my birthday."

I listened to my friend's story and I was moved again to tears. She was nearly overcome with emotion as she recalled the experience. She was seized by great wracking sobs. I wanted to hold her, Ms J, but I was driving. I let her feel her feelings.

"It was the most amazing thing I've ever seen, Dale," Frankie sobbed. "It was like a ..."

She stopped talking for a second then and I was unsure whether she was searching for the right word or if she'd stopped to regain her composure.

A white car appeared suddenly in front of us. I stared at the licence plate and I could scarcely believe what I saw.

"Frankie," I said gently. "Look at the licence on that car."

It read "MIRACLE"

It took a few miles for us to calm down. It was .... a miracle, Ms J.

Oh God! I LOVE MY LIFE!!!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home