A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Healthy Kids

I'm thinking today about my kids, Dan and Meagan. And I'm thinking how grateful I am that they're healthy.

The man I worked with this morning (the other engineer, John) has a son with ADHD. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder. He's 13. The boy must take pills every day, just to function normally. Well he still can't function 'normally', but at least his behaviour is more bearable for teachers and parents. He doesn't have any friends. Kids don't understand him so they shun him. Or beat him up. I imagine most adults would feel the same way. I'd probably avoid him, too.

The poor kid struggles with the day to day tasks of living: he won't bathe or brush his teeth unless he's forced to. He won't change his clothes. He hates school and he's at least two years behind his peers there. He cannot focus on anything for more than a few minutes at a time and he cannot hold still.

John says he talks ... CONTINUOUSLY. When there's no one to talk to, he talks to himself. Loudly. Continuously. The boy is, according to his father, the single most annoying person he's ever known.

ADHD. What a horrible cross to bear!

After some research, John has concluded that our prisons are most likely filled with men and women who as children, suffered from untreated, undiagnosed ADHD. What a terrible waste of so many Lives!

Thank-you, Lord, for my healthy kids.

2 Comments:

Blogger Larry said...

Dale,

I just finished writing this post back to you, I was quite stirred by your story and I didn't know how to reply.

I have now deleted my post took a DEEP breath, and will try this again. LOLOL

I KNOW what you are saying Dale, I also have two kids, both girls, but I won't get into them here. I have also been very greatfull that they have been heathly and not suffered for any problems like ADHD.

ADHD is a TERRIBLE conditions that effect more and more PEOPLE everyday. I say PEOPLE because I know both childern and adults that deal with ADHD on a daily basis. My girlfriend's son has ADHD, and I never really knew much about it, just that kids that have it take lots of different drugs and can get into LOTS of trouble.

Well, things are changing, schools are starting to work more with the teachers and the parents of children who have HDHD and not ALL kids with ADHD have to take medication.

My girlfriend's son does well at school, he's not an 'A' or 'B' student, but he trys very hard. At times he has trouble dealing with his peers, but for the most part he deals with them very well on a daily basis.

I have also learned, that it's not just children that suffer with ADHD but adults do as well. I wonder at times if I have ADHD....At times I can focus well, and other times....OMG!!!!

Yes, I thankfull for my girls are 'healthy' and don't have to deal with ADHD, BUT I'm also thankfull for my girlfriend and her son being in my life, and the opportunity that I have to learn about and help her son in the little things that I can, not as a parent, but as a friend.

Thats a 'View from the Penthouse'

21 September 2004 at 13:14  
Blogger gemmak said...

My neice had ADHD, albeit relatively mildly thankfully. Her behaviour isn't as disruptive as you describe but her education is suffering despite her parents attempts otherwise. The help is apparently available but trying to get it is a whole different stroy!

What pains me most is to see her struggle making friends etc. and not understanding the rejections she recieves from her peers.Her behaviour is innapropraite at times and kids of 11 and 12 just don't want to know or understand.

21 September 2004 at 18:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home